Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ummm, should I be concerned and NOT drive home?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Jan 19, 2004.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

I stopped to get gas this morning, pulled and and came to a stop. I heard a muted BANG when I came to a complete stop. I got out and looked under my truck and found a sheared bolt!!! I started looking around thinking it was the bolt for the sway bar (it looked big at 0600!) and saw that I had a missing bolt from the top of the spring plate in my Dana 60 (dif side).

So as it stands now, I have 1 U bolt and 1 bolt in the dif holding my front spring to the axle. Can I drive home? I did drive to work and didnt notice anything wierd, but I was being VERY cautious.

What do you think?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

how far is the ride home? and how slow can you drive?
    i would get a ride home if the truck is safe at work.. and fix it tomorrow..

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you drive it home, then drive it SLOWLY and have a cell phone with you for just incase. If you can get a friend too follow you and keep a eye on that axle might not be a bad idea.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just dotn put it in 4x4 and you should be fine, watch out on big bumps though and take turns carefully and dont go too fast, in case anymore of the bolts pop,

msut have cheap bolts or torqued wayyyyyyy too tight

you may want to loosen them up a little and check first

good luck

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 1 ton I drove it all the way to Phoenix, 30 imles or more at 50+ mph and realized I was missing a stud, but then again I also had bald tires that were seperated and dryrotted and I had to put a ford front axel dully rim on the rear 14 bolt backwards to drive it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

alll for a d60, would I do it again....in a heart beat /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I was getting ready to call it a night and come back down dump bump in moab. When I tried to turn nothing would happen. So I got out and checked and I sheared both bolts on the right side, and it popped the sring plate and ubolt off the side. I ended up jacking the truck up, pushing the axle back under the spring, loosening the ubolt and putting the spring plate back on the axle. Then using 2 big ratchet straps to hold the left side of the spring plate down, then tightening the ubolt till the other side started to pop up.
    I was able to back down dump bump, and drive all the way back to the hotel without a problem. The next morning I ended up drilling out the bolts and using an ez out.
    I believe the bolts broke because they were not grade 8, probabaly not even grade 5. But, by not using grade 8's, it made it easier to drill the bolts out. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

YOU SIR.... Are crazy /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif