Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unanswered question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pr1aw, Mar 22, 2001.

1. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Grim was saying that all questions get answered, I've posted twice on how to get an ABS system bled and I end up with zeros 000000 . Well not all things in life are guaranteed.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I'd respond but know nothing of ABS systems.I'd figure you'd bleed the system the same as none ABS systems.ABS just controlls wheel spin by varying the pressure to each wheel,doesn't it?There may be induvidual maniflods for each wheel that may need attention.Please take this info. with a grain of salt.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I bleed my wife's car just like I do my 72K5.........Her brakes seam to work fine!? DUno if it's right or wrong but they work!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I also know nothing about ABS and my Ram plus my wife’s Bonne have them. If I were to run into a question like this, I'd get a shop manual, Chilton's, etc...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like an answer to me! If in doubt, you could always pull the ABS fuse or disconnect the battery. Although ABS modulates brake pressure in relationship to wheel/axle rotation, so if the vehicles not moving, shouldn't have any effect. Obviously I know very little about ABS either.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I read the Haynes manual and they are VERY vague about anti lock brakes and bleeding proceedures. Asked an ASE cert. guy in brakes and he was uncertain. Guess I'll have to go to Chevrolet and see if I can get some free info (HAHA) or order the manufactuers manual.

7. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Only one thing that is a must in bleeding ABS brakes: DO NOT LET THE MASTER CYLINDER RUN OUT OF FLUID! If this happens, you will be days trying to get the air out of the ABS manifold. Otherwise, bleed as normal brakes and keep the resivoir full.
    If you do the bleeding with the power off, you don't need to pull the battery cable or any fuse.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Wheels on 03/23/01 07:05 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Hey pr1aw, if I knew anything that would help you I would respond. I feel your frustration;good luck!

9. My ABS is attached to the bottom of my foot. I do not think I have ever even driven a car with ABS. Sorry

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have driven one with ABS and it made me get in a wreck...kinda didn't stop in the rain...

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

11. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I feel the same way. I've asked some questions about lift kits that get slim to nill responses. i posted about how i was in a bad rollover accident in a blazer and i got about 3 responses out of over 200 views, no one has the decency to say glad to here you are ok except 3 people . That bothered me but oh well, i guess im not popular enuff on here.

JD

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Dont feel bad if some questions go unanswered. Life has some moments that go unanswered too. While some people on this site may not be rocket scientists, like me for example, we can not always give an answer to someone who posts a difficult question. Some of us may not have that experience, like in your case, and some do. Those who do know about it will and should be replying to you. So, in Grims defense, give him a break here. I think he was just making a point. I know everybody means no harm, but some things just need a little more time to search for the answers you need. Just like life.

13. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Well said, thatK30guy. Also, some people just don't have time to read all the posts. (sad, i know) So many new ones show up daily that it is just difficult to keep up with. If I check the board morning and evening I can stay on top of it, otherwise I usually just get through the 10-15 newests posts.

[​IMG]

14. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I don't think there's any difference on the Blazer rear-wheel ABS if that's what you're talking about. I do know that on these newer ABS rigs, if you push the brake pedal all the way to the floor, you've probably just bought a master cylinder. I'll check w/ my friend that owns a Meineke shop on the brake bleeding procedure and if it's any different than what is normally done, I'll repost.

[​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>
    Forever missing Dale Earnhardt, who drove over more Fords than we could ever dream of

15. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

To many quetions not enough time [​IMG], and no to the best of my knowlage it's not a popularity contest. I'm no antilock expert, but knowing how the system works there should not be any difference than in non-antilock brakes.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If the power to the ABS system is constantly hot, I could see a problem. If the power is switched off the ignition, then the ABS would be non-functional during bleeding, and therefore no factor. Of course this is just my theory...

There's my 2 cents worth.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Well I don't know what you posted before, but I must have past it up. 250 posts a day is a bit much to keep up with. I know that I answer questions I'm "into" or have got a chance of knowing. Things thet start with "unanswered questions" or "help" I don't check unless they get alot of hitts. You/everyone needs to have a better/detailed -thing- at the begining (I'm sorry I don'know what those -things- are called), Grimm also had a post (ooo- is that what the -thing- is called?) on this as well!
    As far as bleeding Abs brakes, I've never had a problem with the norm, RR-LR-RF-LF. key on or off, and have never had to put a master cyl in one because the brakes hitt the floor during bleeding (normaL) In the future you might want to include what you did and why you need to bleed the brakes.
    KEEP IT FULL!

Twiztid

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

To answer your question.
    You bleed anti lock brakes the same way as a conventonal brake system. Just make sure to start at the right rear and bleed the system till clean brake fluid comes out. That way any impureitys in the system get flushed out of the ABS valving. This keeps the valve body clean and problem free. Keep an eye on the master cylinder to see that it does not run dry.
    Also when doing a brake job on ABS open the bleeder on the caliper when you squeese the piston back in. This keeps the dirty fluid in the caliper from being pushed back into the ABS valve body and causing a valve to stick and other problems.
    DIRT is the main cause of ABS failure! So keep it clean.

19. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

ok... normally when I do brakes on an ABS car I do them so I don't have to bleed... but the answer is really simple... get a good manual, call a local repair shop and ask a tech to look it up on Mitchell or All data. Almost all vehicles have a different procedure. Feel free to send me an email or a private message and I will look it up at the shop when i go in tomarrow afternoon or saturday. Just be sure to tell me the vehicle specs...

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yeah... I agree w/ twiztid... really hard to keep up on and I usually don't hit every post... although I try. I do have a life believe it or not LOL. Between wrenching nights full-time... 4 classes at college since I'm trying to change careers, and then the Blazer... not to mention a social life. Just keep posting till you get an answer or check elsewhere.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI