Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Under-carriage wash??? So I can pinpoint leak.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77Jimmy, Jul 21, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a leak coming from somewhere on my tranny, but I really need to clean up the whole undercarriage so I can determine exactly where it’s coming from. Is there some sort of spray or wash or something that I can use to clean up the undercarriage with? I thought about just going to a local do it yourself car wash and using the power washer but I’m scared the cold water and hot engine, tranny and t-case wouldn’t like each other too much. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Any thoughts?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Find one that has hot water, they have them where I live, You could probable use a engine degreaser.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i do that to mine all the time and have never had a problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yea , engine degreaser works great, i like pitt-pen better than that junkass GUNK spray. it's faster and you don't have to go over it ten times. my tb-400 leaks at the seal for the dip stick. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

See if You can find a pressure wash business in Your area. they have heated water, and around 2-3000 lbs. of pressure.
    And as the Other's have mentioned, Gunk engine bright or similar stuff will help alot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Carb cleaner has been a good friend of mine for years. Buy a few cans and go to a self service car wash and get to work.

7. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Check your tranny cooler lines at the tranny.One of mine backed out this weekend and caused a BIG mess!Also check the modulator,pan,dipstick tube and around the front seal behind the inspection plate. Just a thought! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Found a nice self-service car wash last night w/ nice hot water. Took it mudding first /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, then hit the wash. Blasted it w/ hot soap and then warm water. Got it home and it looks like a leak coming from around the pan...going to check it out again tonight.

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just an update...I think I found the leak...see my new post in the 2nd Gen forum. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif