Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Under Chassis Lighting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rockink5, Aug 7, 2003.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I need to mount some rock lights under my truck for a trip next week /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Need suggestions on where to mount them so I don't rip them off with the a tire or on some rocks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Also what lights did you use? I think I am going to use some cheepy Walmart ricer specials, but I am open to suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I think some tractor lights would be better. Sealed, water proof, dust proof housing just seems better. Should be around $10 each. I think they come in either spot or flood pattern too. Might check with Tractor Supply or a local dealer. Just a thought.

Kris

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you can mount them on the inside of the frame pointing to the oppositte side and they'll be pretty well protected from damage..i have a set of blazer brand lamps that are as bright as daylighters im told and cost 9.99 at the bargain store

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

you gotta get purple /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    wont they break when you bounce around alot?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This is the route I am thinking about going. I picked up a $4 trailer light at the Napa near my work. (industrial Napa) They are clear lights that are sealed and would be easy to mount. I haven't had a chance to wire one up and see how bright it is though.

Harley

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I was planning on doing this tomorrow. I'm going the tractor light route. 15 bucks here. Water proof and have a switch right on the light. Not sure why I would ever need that but its there. Not incredibly bright but then they aren't throwing light very far either. Look durable enough and you could probably afford to keep a spare one on hand. As far as mounting, haven't figured that out yet either. I was thinking find a hole in the frame and bolt them on. Haven't even looked yet but my wires are there and ready to go.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm thinking mounting in a hole next to the body mount would be best. I don't crawl but how often do you smack those?

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I got one fwd pointing light (55 watt Pro-Comp driving) on the front crossmember mounted at a 45* angle. One sealed trailer back-up lt mounted above my rear d-shaft. My back-up ligts are manually opperated and mounted on a swivel on my rear bumper so they can be left on and pointed down.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think the trick ones would be the 4" or so clear disposable plastic lights used on semis
    they are real fast to change when they die
    you can get blue/purple lenses like the guys use to illuminate the back of the cab/front of the trailer if you need the bling

being cheap and disposable and easy to change is a good list of features for a rough envirnment, if you find you do not kill them constantly you could step up to LED version but they are 4 times the price

10. bigjbear

mj, do they use the same bulb (inside the all that plastic) as the oval ones? That (oval style) is what I was talking about on the one over the d-shaft. I've got another spot I wanted to put the ovals, but no room. Just curious if I can expect the same light output.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I do not know
    I would say yes
    the trick is to get one for a turn signal application and power both filaments for a really bright light
    you would be limited to amber or red though.
    the ovals is what was used for 'under the bumper poser' lights on my peterbilt
    I had a few guys asking what foglights I used on it, so they put out a fair light when both filaments are lit
    any truckstop in western US wanted $10-12 for the ovals so a parts house should be cheaper then that
    they are available everywhere so replacement in a pinch is real easy

when I build my bumpers I will be using those lights to replace all of the factory lights on my chev

12. bigjbear

Thanks, I thought I saw them in clear at the trailer place by the house. If not, amber will work for this set.
    [ QUOTE ]
    when I build my bumpers I will be using those lights to replace all of the factory lights on my chev

[/ QUOTE ] I did something similar, but mounted them in the body, looks kind of like a '72 that way & no more broken tail lights.

13. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

You may be able to get them in clear. Check here .

14. bigjbear

Thanks, but I'n not doing LEDs on mine. Lots of local truck/tractor/trailor places.

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Ended up mounting my lights in the holes left behind by the removed sway bar. Got a skid plate there to protect them. Worked pretty well. leaf springs block some of the light but not to bad. Now I have to sort out a major electrical mess.

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

walmart cheapies.

i got the rocer special (look for the ones in the orange box, lots of people using them.

easy to wire, i put one in front of each tire pointed out at an angle.

~$30 for everything. i wired a relay in, so that cost a bit more, and its soo bright, i've worked on my rig at night with just the lights on.

17. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    walmart cheapies.

i got the rocer special (look for the ones in the orange box, lots of people using them.

easy to wire, i put one in front of each tire pointed out at an angle.

~$30 for everything. i wired a relay in, so that cost a bit more, and its soo bright, i've worked on my rig at night with just the lights on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the ones /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Got them mounted with each set on its own relay, in case I want to add lights later on. They work great. Almost sounds as if I put them in the same place as you did.

18. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

anybody got any pictures of how they mounted theres. im having trouble picturing it.