Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Under Drive Pulleys

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Mar 1, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I am curious if anyone is running any type of under drive pulleys, and if so are you happy with them? And what kind are they? I am looking into all the possible cheap horsepower pick me ups. Thanks

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

a misunderstood option is nitrous oxide. cheap, effective, and unobtrusive. stocker until you unleash the beast. with a mild kit, and responsible use, it shouldn't hurt your motor at all. key word there is responsible, and i have yet to see a responsible use of nitrous oxide.
    my buddy had a kit installed on his FZR1000 a handful of years back, and it ran all day long. this was an older model, with lots of miles, too. he put it on to hasten the engine's departure (thus clearing the way for an expensive-but-worth-every-penny-rebuild), but he didn't do any damge. i finally had to wreck the bike for him in order to get the wife to let him upgrade.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Truely a great friend you must be, to be willing to do that.... I will consider nitrous for my 72' Demon 340 but I think it might be a little much for my daily driver.. I could just see the tickets building up now....

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

RE: wreck the bike for him....gee you're a nice guy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

6. Silver84k5

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On a daily driver, I think they would cause more problems than they are worth.

Potential Cons:
    Less efficient engine cooling, worse alternator output at idle, and less power steering assist at low RPM's.

And on a personal note, I *overdrove*(new word?) my alternator pulley at something like 33%, and I saw almost NO change in idle output voltage. So that tells me that unless you change the pulley sizes in LARGE increments, you won't see any noticeable gains. And with all the cons I listed above, I'd have to say that unless you are measuring power in 1/4 mile increments, leave your pulleys stock.

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Underdrive pulley are only worth 10 hp. They dont work out here in AZ because it underdrives the waterpump too much. It may be okay back east. What you have to do out here is hold the idle up, so you waste more gas. I think a throttle body spacer in you are FI, or a carb spacer is cheap power. try that. Nitrous is also great if you use it correctly. I have over 250 passes on my car with nitrous. Biggest thing is to make sure everything is in good shape, and check the solenoids often to make sure one hasnt failed.

Dan

9. Silver84k5

LOL did you guys notice the date on when this post was posted?, 3 years old ;P

10. speedup

speedup Registered Member

ROFLMAO! Clever trick. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. dyeager535

No didn't catch the date, actually some of us just pop in to offer help. If it's up near the top, and could use clarification, what the heck difference does it make anyway? Answers here don't just help the poster if you don't realize that...

Glad you get off intending to waste peoples time, hope everyone that read the thread thought it as funny as you. Hopefully the next time you post something you need help with, they will remember how humourous you are.

12. Silver84k5

LOL your taking it kinda of seriously arent you? im sure that wasted a lot of time didnt it?,

i was just bored and couldnt sleep so i looked that oldest post i could find and refreshed it.

My bad if it wasted so much of everyones time /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. Silver84k5

oh and by the way, ive offered plenty of help aswell.... so hopefully people do remember me when i need it, if i know the answer to something, then i always put my 2 cents in, unless its the questions that have been answered 100 times over and over.

14. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

OLD or not some of us learn from refreshing old posts and Though I think you are a good member and have alot to offer and I usually agree with you I think your going a little over board with the attitude , I mean come on it's just a post relax a little . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. dyeager535

Refreshing old posts to benefit others (and updating posts), and keep repeat questions from being posted 80 times is one thing.

Making a post to amuse yourself is another. This board doesn't need pointless posts, and since there WAS no point to bringing it back to the forefront apparently, I figure it's pointless.

Of course thats my opinion. His opinion is its funny, mine is that its not, and yours is that I overreacted. We all happy and clear now?

16. Silver84k5

no not really.

I didnt know this board was suppose to be serious 100% of the time, Is there a special handbook stating that having a little fun when your bored off your ass is against the rules? man if something this insignificant gets under your skin that easy, then you need to sit down and chill out, your Wired just a little to tight. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Comon, you have to give the official "unofficial" K5 member answer.....

LEAVE NO RIG BEHIND.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

LEAVE NO QUESTIONS UNANSWERED. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Even if it takes 3 years. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif