Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UNDERBODY Oiling? rust preventative?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Sep 8, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I've heard some people pour in cans of oil in the tail gate area to stop further corrosion and rust from forming or "destroying" What happens later if down the road that I want to paint my truck or do some body work on the panels or wheel wells then WHAT?

And what about the smell and the drippings---what if the oil drops catch fire on the exhaust system?

What is the best advice here...I need some rust prevention in a big/CHEAP way...
    and I'll be willing to try anything once, more if I like the results!

Anyone heard of this before?

I live in Maine--we salt the roads here cause there are lazy ass snowplow truck crews that would rather not come back and plow the area they just had been at..,

-Dv8

"You tried your best and you failed miserably.The lesson is, never try" [​IMG]

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just heard about the "oiling" thing myself about a month ago. After asking around, and learning more about it from a few of the guys here, I decided to get it done for $115 CDN.

A proper oil job is more involved than just pouring oil in certain crevices to prevent rust. My bodyman uses an air gun and sprays the entire undercarriage and inside the doors and tailgate. By doing this, the oil actually gets blasted onto and into the steel which prevents massive dripping and oozing. He compares the final product's look to that of actual undercoating.

I don't think that there would be much concern about it affecting future bodywork, as it is mainly used on the underneath of the vehicle.........

Unfortunately, it has to be redone every couple of years, but that's probably cheaper than having to weld in a new floor in ten year's time, eh?

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Back in the pre-invirometalist's days they would use old engine oil for this. Just splash it around with a brush, then go for a drive on a dusty gravel road. The dust binding it upp so it's dry to touch. The old guys swear this is the only thing that really works. Not like the fanzy smanzy storebought stuff......[​IMG]

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

do it all the time here in saudi, we have alot of oil.....hahaha. but yes, it does work, but use the compressed air method and not too much (just enough to coat what you want). dirt WILL stick, so be careful. you dont want the dirt to stick in the wrong places and accelerate wear.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com