Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Underbody paint color (80's tacky or not)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Glock Girl, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

Underbody paint color (80\'s tacky or not)

I POR 15d the entire bottol of my truck a few years and then top coated it in satin black. I was eyeing my studebaker project chassis the other day in the shop (it sits in grey POR) thought it looked pretty neat in grey. might keep it grey and was thinking about painting the bottom of the k5 (axles susp frame) a simmilar color. you would sure be able to find the oil leaks and make sure its grease and mud free. Silly and 80ish tacky or not?

Shelby
    88 K5

2. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Re: Underbody paint color

I think that would look pretty cool. I've toyed with the idea of painting my undercarriage/suspension olive drab, but have voted against it because then you would REALLY be able to see my oil leaks. Until I rebuild my engine and replace my steering box, I may decide to do that. I'd say go for it if your rig doesn't have a lot of leaks.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I know that I am the ONLY one, but I like all the stuff under my rig black. Nothing fancy, just black. I plan on using a glossy epoxy based stuff on my new axles, and a flatter extreme heat paint on parts that get toasty.

I dunno if grey would be "silly/80s tacky" or not... I DO know however, that if you dig it, you should do it for sure. Conformity is rarely cool. When you went to 4x4 runs, at the very least, it'd be different/interesting. If *some* yahoos dont like it, screw em. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

4. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

yes everything under mine is black to except for the drive train and the exhaust and such. hides leaks, mud, dirt and such. I was going to shoot my frame and drive train a light color blue than my Blazer but eventually it was just turn black from use and grease

5. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

Anyone elses opinion....bad 80's taste or good idea?

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think it'd look cool and yes corrosion of conformity is always a good idea... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds OK to me.......do what YOU like!

As far as 80's style.....I'd still avoid the "boomerang" antennas, and flourescent windsheild wiper covers.....and probably the chrome rockerpanel tape that was somewhat "in vogue" at the time! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Fuzzy Dice are ALWAYS cool.....I don't care what anyone says.....one of the few items that can be both "tacky and cool" and the same time. Dashboard Hula Dolls are another one.........

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

DIF. TACKY!!!Real trucks get dirty...I like the POR idea though!Black is the only way to go!!!

9. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Underbody paint color (80\'s tacky or not)

if you keep it a darker color...(grey,brown,olive green,navy blue) you will be alright. I think the lighter the color the farther back into the 80's you will go. Just promise me you wont get the dual wiper blades and u will be off to a good start. GL!

10. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Mines painted with <font color=red>MUD</font color=red>, and gets washed everytime I high water traverse in it!!!!!

White Knight

11. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

One day I plan to do the underside of my rig with bed liner and I want the color light. Yellow or white. That way it will show the dirt so I can get it really clean and be able to tell it's clean. I also want to powdercoat the frame. Those details are way way down on my list though. A lighter color will make it easier to see while under the truck trying to fix something. The reason I want the underside clean is so when I'm working under the rig dirt won't fall into my eyes and mouth. The bed liner idea is for rust proofing, noise reduction, and general damage resistance. Nothing tacky about it.

12. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Personally I think it would look bad. Just me though.

Ken H.

13. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

my dash board hula doll froze to death and snapped in half when i hit a bump :-(

14. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

IMO, it would be tacky. I like semi gloss black /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TJ,

Maybe you need to get on of those "bobbing head" dog ones instead? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I really like semi-gloss black. Everything just looks new and well-kept. Other colors are more for show trucks and such, IMO. It does get noticed, though. Stay away from pastels and flourescents for sure. It's a truck, not a VW Beetle.

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Nothing wrong with it at all in my opinion - most of my undercarriage componentry is painted bright yellow (except for the framerails and axles). It's easier to keep clean, even the smallest cracks stand out like a sore thumb, and it just looks pretty cool in my opinion/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Stick with a gloss or semi gloss color what ever you do. The flat stuff attracts dirt and dust and is hader to keep clean.

19. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm doing the same thing to mine. I kinda like the gray color, it should look decent with silver-gray body. It's not like it painted lavander or something.