Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Undercoat Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JeffHK5, Jul 6, 2005.

1. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Got my frame bare now how do I get the factory undercoat off? I know I can have it dipped but is there a cheaper way? This frame is from Alaska and it looks like it's been coated like 2 or 3 times! Do they offer like a chem. stripper ?

Thanks Jeff

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

tough job!!

We used that "Aircraft" paint stripper to remove rubberized undercoating from a Mercury Montery convertible I restored with a friend...it worked ok,but it was a tough job!..and messy!..that stuff burns holes in clothes and skin,so be careful,wear gloves and goggles!..we tried sandblasting it off,but that didnt work too well...it was either scrape it off with a putty knife,or use the stripper to soften it up...we learned the hard way a propane torch DOES soften it,but once its burning its hard to put out!..and the fumes gag you!..no easy way out of this job..unless you just spray more undercoating over the existing stuff!.. :crazy:

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Take it to a real sandblaster. One of the guys who uses SAND not walnut shells or fingernails or what ever wussie media they are using now. They should be able to go through that stuff like bud-da.

I had a few axles blasted by a guy near me, his blaster ran off of a 4 cyl diesel motor and he told me he could blow clean through sheet metal on full power. :eek1:

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

As 8_your_H2 said, a good sandblaster should do the job. It requires an industrial strength air compressor to run the good sand blasters, and is well worth the price for what your doing.

5. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

I tried to have it blasted and the owner said that it was to soft to blast off. He said that it's like latex paint in that it never gets "hard" and even a large blaster pushes it around and makes a big mess. I was also resposable for buying all media that he used as the undercoat will ruin the sand. I guess it sticks to the sand rather than be chipped off by it. I got the impresion that he did NOT want the job!

I was thinking of a heat or stripper. I don't know how hard this stuff should get ,but it's pretty soft on my frame.

Jeff

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

little lighter fluid and match- 20 min later itll scrape right off :D