Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Undercoating removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pugsley, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of an easy way to get rid of this vile stuff? I've been chipping at it bit by bit for days, and need to come up with a quicker way.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you tried softening it up with a solvent? I don't think there is an easy way other than scraping it off...but if its soft it may be easier to scrape.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've tried a couple of different solvents, and nothing will actually cut into it - it's almost like Rhino Lining - whenever I get a spot to start lifting, it peels off in a good size chunk, and it's pretty stiff. Whoever the previous owner of this crossmember was was serious about rustproofing - the stuff is about 1/4" thick.

<a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. tRustyK5

Its not very environmentally correct...but have you tried gasoline? Every undercoat I've seen just gets gooey and melts when gas sits on it...

Rene

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Haven't tried gas yet - I'll give it a whirl in the morning[​IMG] I'm almost to the point of putting a knotted wheel on the grinder and covering the garage with black stuff - except the wife would probably be a little perturbed at cleaning undercoat crumbs out of the washer/dryer.

6. tRustyK5

I feel your pain...Gas will soften it, but it'll still be a messy disgusting job. I'd soften it up and use a good 1 1/2" scraper. any wider and you won't get enough pressure along the edge of the blade.

Rene

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Cool deal! I learned my lesson now - if you want an easy job, do not buy junkyard parts from places that salt the roads[​IMG]

8. tRustyK5

Yes...welcome to hell [​IMG]

Rene

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

My "new" raddiator support was loaded with undercoat from previous owner. I had luck with hubby's comercial size power washer. It took some time but most came off. To finish it, I used a wire wheel on our drill. Living in Vermont, I don't think I could have found one without that miserable stuff on it.

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

10. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Hey, just did this about a week ago. Used a pressure washer and denatured alcohol. Rips the crap off ! Got the alcohol by gallon from Lowes for 9.40, have a 3500 psi washer. Took everything off, I have POR 15 to spray on it, but haven't gotten to it yet. Just a note, if you don't want to be using alcohol on your skin, cover everything, and also your driveway, took me some time to get that crap off driveway. Just my 2 cents.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

HA HA!! I had this CRAP on the insides of the rear fender wells on my '71 Elco. Tried gas, sovent, oven cleaner, everything you could think of. It all worked OK, but I didnt want to spend the entire week fightning with all of this stuff. I went to the local automotive paint supply store, and picked up some stuff called something like "aircraft quality paint stripper". It in a black metal can and this stuff KICKS ASS!!! You brush it on and about 10 minutes later wipe it off with a damp rag and there you go. It will take a little longer for the stubborn spots, or depending on how thick its on, but it works ALOT quicker than anything I've tried. BUT BE CAREFUL!! Get some long rubber gloves to where, because as you brush it on, it kinda splatters back on your skin and IT BURNS!!! I did this in auto class back when I was in high school and went to my next class with little red spots/burns all over my arms. As soon as it hits your skin you feel it, but its worth it as good as this stuff works!! Good luck!

12. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Does it eat chrome? The little clasp where the pass. seat hooks up has undercoating all oveer it.

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stovie
    hawglet@excite.com

13. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I dont have an answer for that, I've never tried it on chrome.....

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I got rid of it! I took to it with a needle scaler, and "gently persuaded" it to come off[​IMG] I tried gas, carb cleaner, lacquer thinner, synthol reducer, and acetone - all would soften it, but not to the point it would lift. I killed the scaler in the process, but for a $5 swap meet find, what do I expect?

15. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

CONGRATS!! I remember now, the stuff I used was AVIATION PAINT REMOVER

16. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Pugs, Eastwood makes a product specifically for the removal of undrercoating. I've never tried it but it is supposed to work pretty well. I've used paint stripper and it seemed to work pretty well along with a gasket scraper. I just haven't gotten around to finishing. Check out this link...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe>http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe</a>

"Constipated people don't give a crap!"

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Hey Thanks! I'm going to get a couple of cans of that for when I get around to doing my fenderwells[​IMG]