Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

undercoating

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyalltheway, May 23, 2004.

1. chevyalltheway

chevyalltheway Registered Member

Hi all, well i just bought a 86 K-10 blazer, i guess i am pretty lucky in that their is no holes in my floor board. but their is some surface rust on the floor board. i was reading up on the product called por-15 has anyone used this, if so how did you like it
    thanks
    steve

2. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i like the stuff but just like everthing you get out what you put in so prep work is key to make it come out like you want and last and since its just surface rust you may want to try sanding it off and putting on something cheaper like zero rust which has worked well for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I was just reading in 4x4 Builder of a product called Evapo-Rust . It's a water based product that removes rust. I'm going to research it and see if it's as good as they claim.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Everyone seems to like POR-15, it seems great to me, but I have no long term data yet. I've been putting it all over on my truck, basically whenever I have something off I POR-15 it before it goes back. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It dries rock hard, but it's nasty to work with because whatever it lands on it will never come off of unless you see it instantly and wipe it up. I have some permanent black spots on my garage floor now. I also got a few drops on the rim of the POR-15 can and it welded closed - I had to punch a hole and drain it into a jar after that. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I've done good prep on most stuff, but I also just slopped it on some places underneath the truck where it's not that big of a deal. I went around and brushed it over anyplace I could see a little rust, even if there was old paint or undercoat all around. I figure it should halt the rust anyway, even if the POR falls off the undercoat later.

The real test is going to be a super rusty wheel barrow I got for free. I pressure washed it and just put the POR-15 onto the nasty rust and old paint that was left. It seems rock hard and sturdy as anything so far.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have used lots of POR-15,and had good results.I have noticed that,like it says on the label,it is made to Paint Over Rust (hence the name POR)--if you sandblast it nice and pretty,it still works OK,but the rusty stuff I just slopped it on after only scratching it with a wire brush seemed to harden to a strong "crust".I've seen others pour it on fiberglass cloth and patch holes in floors with it,I prefer welding or brazing a patch in first,then sealing it with that method.It does harden the cloth pretty strong by itself.I used it on the bottom of the doors on my 74 plow truck--should have done the INSIDE too,it rotted from the inside out /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif!.The gloss black will fade rather quickly to a flat black when exposed to the sun,but sun doesnt seen to affect the rust prevention qualitiy of it.
    I know that long after the rest of the truck is corn flakes on the ground,the floors and whatever else the POR is on will still look new! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Where do they have the POR-15 at? Do they have it a home depot or lowes or is at at a special store?

7. devilsquid

devilsquid Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Where do they have the POR-15 at? Do they have it a home depot or lowes or is at at a special store?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered it from here the prep work is a bit of a pain but I really like the stuff!

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

WOW!!! That stuff is expensive.

9. chevyalltheway

chevyalltheway Registered Member

thanks for the tips, yeah the stuff aint cheap i bought a quart of it at a local paint store and it cost around 34 buxs./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but i figured it would be worth its weight in gold if it stops it./forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif thanks again

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I used Por-15 on my floors and it worked great.
    You can check some pictures out Here
    As for the underside, POR is expensive so I just cleaned everything up and painted it with good old top quality black. It's really easy to touch up too. I don't belive in under coating. It holds water and dirt in when cut.

11. diesel4me

Also--A little POR goes a long way when you brush it on.I did the front floor of my van,the entire floor of my pickup,and several other small spots with only a pint!.I usually buy mine at swap meets,they usually have a POR dealer at most of the ones I've been to--its available online too I beleive.You can put a layer of saran wrap on the can before putting the lid back on,so it wont weld itself shut!.And forget washing any you spill on yourself off,especially if its already dry--like the label says--only TIME will remove it!Nothing I tried would touch it--gas,carb cleaner,tolune,laquer thinner,even acetone didnt phase it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

You could try some stuff called rust-mort. It works freakin awesome, you just scrape off the flakey rust, and wipe on the rust-mort, its a liquid and it turns the rust into primer. You can recoate as needed, I use it on my dana 60 that was rusted to all hell and now it looks as good as new. I have used it before with much success too. Oh and you can get it at any local paint and body supply store. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. diesel4me

Yes,Rust Mort is an excellent product,I used to sell it at the parts store I worked at,and have used it many times.That "Extend"stuff made by Duro/Permatex/Locktite seems to work pretty good too(not as good as Rust-Mort though)the brush on stuff(Extend)seems to work better than the spay on version. Now,if I could get about 500 gallons of Rust-Mort,put it in a big swimming pool and DIP my whole truck in it---- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif