Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Undercoating...?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmup, Mar 12, 2002.

1. jimmup

jimmup Registered Member

Hello guys,

Last week I pulled my tranny and t-case for for a thorough going through and upon inspection found the underside of the tub to be a mess.

Have you all seen the movie Saving Private Ryan? If so, remember Tom Seizmor (the guy who put dirt in a jar from every location his unit visited)? Anyway, that's the underside of my truck. So, I spent a day with many cans of oven cleaner (best degreaser I have come across) and a pressure washer cleaning the belly of my baby (72 GMC Jimmy). I am now to the point where I am going to primer the under carriage.

My question is what do you guys suggest using for undercoating? In the past I have just used the rattle-can brand and am wondering if there is something out there (short of Line-X) that I could use that both looks good but also will protect the undercarriage of the tub.

Any ideas?

--Scott

2. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

Most people claim that Herculiner is worthless but if you apply a few coats it works well. I used it on my wheel wells and the underside of the tub about a year ago and it has held up great and looks good too. It costs about $100/gal from Kmart, but be careful not to get any on yourself because only time will take it off.
    Jeff

3. Benrs86

Benrs86 Registered Member

i used plastic roof cement on the bottom of my cab and in my fenders on my pickup. it goes on as thick as you want and it is reallly really tough. i love it. good luck, Ben

4. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

3M makes a good undercoating. It's rattle can too! Aplication is easy and it looks great. I get it at the local auto paint store.

5. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

You may want to check local paint stores. I found one in Houston that makes there own version of undercoating with ground rubber particulates. Unfortunately, I had already done mine with 3M when I found this product, but I have seen it on this guy's truck. It looks good and he claims it had been on his truck for 2 years. He also sells a cheap blow gun for about $20 for application. Another cool feature about this product is that he can use any color for a base and/or add metalic or pearl into the base color. Send me a PM if you want any more info. Good luck.

6. bassplayer4x4

bassplayer4x4 Registered Member

My brother in law works for Drummond American, they make all kinds of chemicals and solvents and [censored] for institutional and commerical use. I got from him this spray-on rubberized coating, it looks very clean and has held up extremely well. Also works as a sound dampener too. Takes a few thin coats to do it right. If you have a Drummond guy local, they can get it for you. If not I can check my brother in law and find out costs and I could ship it to you. PM me if you are interested.

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Dopn't use the plain old tar undercoating. Use a rubberized undercoating. They hold up better and insulate sound better than the plain tar undercoats. I just use the plain tar undercoats to touch up my rubberized stuff every once in a while.

8. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I just bought a gallon of Dyna-pro brush on rubberized undercoating for $21.00. I will be doing my Jimmy this weekend, weather permitting. I took it down to the axles, frame and tub. So I don't have much in the way. I'll let you know what I think of it.