Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

underhood light.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prerunner1982, May 27, 2003.

1. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

ok i know you guys are pretty smart here so this may sound stupid to most(all) of youll but i figured i would share it with youll anyway.

ever been driving down the road at night and blew a belt or hose or fried a battery cable or whatever. you are prepared, have tools, and the part to fix it, you even have a flashlight. but you keep having to move the flashlight to see what you are doing or find the right tool.

i hate fighting with flashlights, seems i spend half the time just trying to get enough light. so i decided to wire up an underhood light. but instead of just a solid mount light, i used a old small rectangle utility light and mounted a piece of old speaker magnet, taped the wires together to make a nice cord, and wired it all into a switch mounted on the driver side of the radiator support. when the light isnt in use the light and cord can be stashed in the square cut our in the drivers side fender. But when you do need it pull that thing out and put it anywhere you want, inside fender, under hood, even outside fender.

ok well if you thought it was stupid get over it, you took the time to read it couldnt have been that bad! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It is a good idea. I guess that is why chevy started putting them under the hood of trucks in 89 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just have a hard mounted bulb housing that is mounted to my work bench in my garage. That way when I want to see under the hood it is dark and I have to feal around for everything /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I mounted an 88 up reel type light under the hood on the firewall. When I pull it outI have enough cord on it to reach all the way around to the back gate. But then I have to wind it all back in again so I dont do that often. LOL! Super easy install, 1 hot wire, 1 ground and thats it. It has its own switch to turn it on and off.

Ill see if I can dig up a pic.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Under hood light. You can sorta see it above the AC box. Sorry its not a real good pic. The pic from the other angle in my Webshots is kinda far away but you can see it in that one too. Basicly it was 2 engine shots and its in the background.

WOW I cant get over how clean it all was under the hood back then. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif