Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Underhood tool boxes...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Since their seems to be a whole crap load of extra "space" under the hood of our trucks, especially if you don't have A/C, has anyone built any underhood tool or storage boxes? If anyone has, I would love to see some pictures of how you did it and got it sturdy and securly mounted.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Blazinheart as a nice one under the hood.. You might want to PM her. I don't know if she as any pics of it..

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I don't know if they still do, but there were ones for sale made just for these trucks by the aftermarket.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I just used a ammo box on the passenger fender.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A few pics of what I built for the Sub are here in the "Suburban" folder. I have a few more of each, plus some pics of the bracket for the Lowrance 3000MT GPS & 261A 2m radio if interested.

The "oil refinery" holds 6 quarts of engine oil and six quarts of ATF. Those oil filters are spares screwed to a plate. They didn't make the trip to the Baja 1000 and it will likely be scrapped.

The tool box is a Craftsman. The rachet strap holds it to the bracket. I store red ragz and spare fuel hose under it.

The jack mount is bolted to the frame directly under the front seat passenger's butt.

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThose are good ideas.

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I really like the modifications you made to that jack.... Actually makes it usefull in conditions other than concrete. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

The Jack setup is sweet. I especially like the jack mounted to that sled.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sweet oil storage idea there. hey... is that a Benchtop socket set I see there on the other wheel well? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If so, I have the exact same set. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif good tools. the 3/8" benchtop driver I got is a little shaddy ever since I used a 3' cheater bar on it... but the 1/2" driver is solid as heck. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm the same as StormTrooper, I have an ammo can bolted to the passenger-side inner fender. It's good for keeping the neccesary items on hand...

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not sure what you mean by "Benchtop socket set", the box and most of the tools are Craftsman.
    It's hard to see it, but bolted to the back of the tool box bracket is the socket for the front wheel bearing nuts. Once I get one for the rear wheel bearing nuts, it will get bolted next to the front one.

The jack plate is not my idea, a lot of dez racers do something like it. I've thot about making them for sale. Offer the base for $XX and it comes with a slip of paper that has the SKU for the $30 Harbor Freight jack that it fits.
    You're be on your own for a jack carrying cradle like the one I built. That took WAY too long to build.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i was talking about the black plastic tool box in the pics. I have one that looks completely identical... but I guess we have diff tools. All my sockets and stuff are made by a company called "Benchtop". I wish i was rich enuff to have all craftsman stuff tho! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

FWIW I got it well used from a combination Surplus Store and Pawn shop in Chico, CA for $35. Missing a few of the odd-ball sized sockets and the 13mm 112pt. is split.
    Haunt the pawn shops, junk stores, and the like. You can find decent deals on tools once in a while in places like that. I got a Snap-On balancer puller, less the bolts and the plastic case from the same place, for $25.