Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Underwater Repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gunner_vincent, Jan 9, 2005.

1. gunner_vincent

gunner_vincent Registered Member

hey guys I need some help... I sank my truck in the water.. up to the steering wheel. I got the truck going again, after days of draining/refill. The truck has developed sound, sound first like air escaping the collector gaskets. I changed the gaskets, and i am about to change the exhaust manifold gaskets... it sounds like it is coming from underneath the exhaust manifold gasket, now i am leaning towards rod or possible something in auto TH350 transmission...I give it gas, the sound gets louder. I would appreciate all inputs, I also posted this in 73-91 forum, i was told i should ask you guys.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

probably a rod knock. Get a good deal of water in the oil? please tell me you have changed the oil and tried to flush it out a little?

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you sank it that far, did you change ALL of the fluids?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hopefully he wasn't cranking with the cylinders full... i recently had a guy turn 2 rods into pretzels doing that....

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep hydraulic lock from having water in a cylinder is a great way t break or bend a rod or worse :D
    over the steering wheel is higher than manifolds and pipes, i hope you pulled spark plugs and cranked out water

good luck

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i get a 1/2 dozen of those a year as a marine mechanic.. i'm pickling sunk and injested motors all the time....

7. gunner_vincent

sure did!

I have changed all fluids now 4 times , from F/R diffs to tranny, to engine, power steering also pulled all covers and pans. The oil is now really clean! I did shut off the engine before It got deep, and I pulled the plugs and turned it over many times before reinstalling them (got plenty of water out :D ), even poured oil thru both valve covers with pan off just to pull water down, to help drain. I also changed exhaust manifold gaskets and collector gaskets (that may help on what it sounded like, escaping exhaust leak) I have all the interior out so everything echos inside, i put my jacket over the 4WD shifter hole, and i could not even hear it (it is that faint of a sound). Maybe i am just being paranoid, because i do not remeber hearing it beofe the titanic went down! I have pictures of the Blazer Bath but i cannot put them on the site, it keeps saying they are all too big, unless you guys know how to make them smaller, pretty cool pix... water to the top of steering wheel

8. gunner_vincent

Torque converter T/C

Anybody heard of draining the T/C? If so How and where, and how do you fill it back up, thru transmission?:confused:

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

There is a drain plug on the back of the 208/241..a pretty big bolt. You just fill it up till it starts coming out of that hole then put the plug back in. I'm not sure about the 203/205 cases.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think he meant torque converter. Chevy torque converters typically don't have drain plugs.

11. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you think it is the tranny you can take the three tc bolts out and push the tc back as far as it will go and start it up and see if you still have the noise. No noise= something in the tranny.