Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unemployed and Homeless in Phoenix???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rigdonhome, Jul 9, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

Just considering my options.

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifCurrent State: Unemployed and very few jobs around this area. (Indy... if you have a job for me in Indy, please PM or email me!!!) Behind on the house payment. Have sold everything of any value to pay the bills, so have very little left to move. 3-Year-Old Boy and Wife is 7 months pregnant with Baby Girl...

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifPossible Future State: If I'm going to be unemployed and homeless in Indy, why not load up what I have left and be unemployed and homeless somewhere I really WANT to live??? Indy is OK, but I've always wanted to live in AZ.

Question to Readers: Where does an Unemployed and Homeless guy live in Phoenix, and are my chances any better/worse of finding a job there???

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I await your Wisdom. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

do you have any equity in your house, if so, sell it and use the money to try a new start in arizona, provided your family is agreeable to moving /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I'd club a baby seal to have a job in Phoenix. I am still looking. Great area, affordable housing, good wheeling, no rust.

I want to go to Phoenix too! if anyone has a line for a PR/Marketing/Communications gig in PHX drop me a line!

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Phx a great area? hahahahahahahaha

Sorry but I was in Phx last summer and its a pure craphole. It's worse than LA. Then you gotta deal with the 115* weather, no thanks...

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Kinda my impression of the place last time I was there, but I suppose there are some nice places if you look. Each city has a good side of the tracks and a bad side. OKC has been good to me.

John

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Very true.... I could have just been delirious from the heat stroke.

Us Californian's aren't used to dealing with such heat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It does have it's ugly side. I would not want to live here in the "low rent district". Not a nice place... Heat's not THAT bad, but you gotta learn to adjust for it.

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I can't take the heat either. I want to move to the NW.

Besides the heat, PHX is a great place to live. I actually live in a suburb called Peoria.

If you are going to be homeless I would wait till winter /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jobs are everywhere unless you think you are worth to much. A $30k salary is very easy to get down here and if you are skilled at what you do, $40k+ is not uncommon. I've been down here 5 years and the wife and I make over six digits. Most people just don't take a lower paying job while they are waiting for a better one. Most places down here will eventually pay you top salary if will wait it out a year or two. I have known several who try to live here for a few months and then move before anything great kicks in. The only problem down here with jobs is that there are too many indian jobs and not enough jobs for chiefs.

Housing is very inexpensive too. Renting is real cheap if you want it to be. Houses are very easy to buy as well.

The best part is the "Big City". Everything you want to buy can easily be had (with exception to a th400/208 combo /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) for a very good price and that makes working on cars a dream come true /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good Luck

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What do you do for a living? My company is hiring for outside sales and a metalurgist on the western burbs of chicago.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so where to indians go looking for indian jobs in PHX?

[/i]/I'm cheap, and I'll get cheaper for the right job[/i]

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd club a baby seal to have a job in Phoenix.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif... Zakk,

They'll let you in without the display of the killer instinct.

Marv

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd club a baby seal to have a job in Phoenix.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif... Zakk,

They'll let you in without the display of the killer instinct.

Marv

[/ QUOTE ]

are you sure? i got a reeeeally nice club /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. rigdonhome

Hey! Lots of good info here.

Every town has a bad side, even in a town of 100 people.

Every climate has a bad side. I would rather stay inside in the AC through the summer heat than be trapped inside for 8 months of winter.

I am a Mechanical/Design Engineer. Most of my experience is in Automotive Powertrain Design, but hey, I can design anything. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of going into Management several years ago, and can't get the stink off of me. Nobody believes that you really want out, and think you're just taking an 'Indian' job until a 'Chief' job opens up and then you'll 'Bail' on them. Management doesn't pay any better (hired several people who worked for me and made more money...) and I don't care about the perks or powertrip that most people go into management for.

So on the salary thing, I make pretty close to Six Digits on my own, but that's completely irrelevent depending on where you live. Here I live pretty well on that income... In Chicago or Detroilet it's not much money at all. So I'm more interested in the 'Big Picture' as far as a good job that pays the bills, benefits are a big deal, etc. I'll work for peanuts if they give me good benefits and I have good 4x4ing nearby.

About a year ago, I started simplifying and moved to a cheaper area so that I could take a pay cut if I had to in order to get a better job. My neighborhood is much friendlier than where I used to live, but I made the mistake of living where I could afford it rather than investigating the area first. The last straw was when I got a ticket for parking my Van with one tire off the driveway and on the grass. Where I live now I can park in the yard and nobody cares... (As it SHOULD BE, since it IS MY Yard!!!)

Anyway, enough on the Communism Rant. Sooo, if you're looking for a good Mechanical/Design Engineer and are willing to 'Overlook' the Management Experience, I'm your man! If you're looking for a Construction Worker and will pay good O/T I'd probably be even happier doing that. I've been 'Living to Work' for too long. Time to 'Work to Live' and enjoy life a little more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Keep the Info coming! I'm about to box up what's left and move wherever the wind takes me, sooo...

Cheers,
    Scott

14. rigdonhome

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifHey, was just thinking...

Does anyone out there in AZ or CO know of a good recruiter (head hunter)??? All of my contacts are in Detroilet and I could probably get a job there, but would rather eat broken glass and club baby seals than live in Detroilet. (Some nice areas there though!!!)

I have been responding to job listings in these areas over the internet, but that is mostly futile if you don't now someone on the inside, an HR person, or a GOOD recruiter. Most recruiters are 'Car Salesmen Retreads' but there are good ones out there. (Sorry to all you Car Salesmen out there... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

PM me or email me K5@RigdonHome.com if you think you can set me up. I would offer a cash reward but if I had any cash I would make the house payment!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Cheers,
    Scott

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

hey! clubbing baby seals is what I'm bringing to the table /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    hey! clubbing baby seals is what I'm bringing to the table /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifSorry Man! Didn't mean to intrude on your 'turf'... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I officially revoke my offer to Club Baby Seals. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
    Scott

17. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif he he "clubbing baby seals" where the hell do you come up with that [I love Jeeps]. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey I did not say that ^ /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    The website turned on me for trying to cuss. I swear it.

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

dunno. i been saying it forever. i'm sure i picked it up in some movie from my youth.

20. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

If I could handle the number of people now in Phoenix I would prolly still be livin there. That and the fact that the layed back life in the mountains beckoned me. Lots of work down that way though. Can't hurt to try though. Good luck!

Allan