Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

uneven front tire wear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tykuhn, Nov 26, 2003.

1. tykuhn

tykuhn Newbie

First post, my friend and I are wondering what to do if my tires are wearing on the inside? Possibly allignment, but what will it cost and what other thimgs could it be.I did a quick search but couldn't find the answer

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

if its the inside of the tire it sounds like a camber or toe in issue. Get an alignment done (aroun d here they run me about $50) but be ready for em to tell you that you ball joints are gone.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I was just researching this today. Mine are wearing on the outside. What I found out was that you need offset ball joints. I guess im going to take my truck to a shop in Antioch, I have heard they know what there doing. Anyone else know what to do, or other shops? Thanks

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

also check the air pressure and make sure your not running to much. what tires do you run? i run 23psi in my 38in tsls and the tire wear is nice and even /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

I have 38" Radials. The air pressure is even in all tires. I normally have them aired all the way up for driving around town, to school, etc. Im positive mine is a camber problem.

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

wear basics
    Tire wear on center of tire = over pressure
    tire wear on both edges of tire =under pressure
    tire wear on outside of both tires = not enough tow
    tire wear on inside of both tires = to much toe

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    also check the air pressure and make sure your not running to much. what tires do you run? i run 23psi in my 38in tsls and the tire wear is nice, quick, and thank God, even /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mudhog

why do you say quick? i have almost 40,000 on my tsl's and still have about 30% tread left /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    I have 38" Radials. The air pressure is even in all tires. I normally have them aired all the way up for driving around town, to school, etc. I'm positive mine is a camber problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes it most likely is but just thought id mention the air pressure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"I have 38" Radials. The air pressure is even in all tires. I normally have them aired all the way up for driving around town, to school, etc. Im positive mine is a camber problem. "

You can check your toe real easy in about 2 minutes for free. Get a tape measure and lay down in front of the truck place the end of the tape in to the tread about 13 inchs off the ground and 2-3 inchs from the inside edge. run the tape measure across to the other tire and measure at the EXACT same spot on the tread. Now write down your measurement, do the same thing on the back side of the front tires write down your measure ments, ideally you will want 1/16- 1/8 of toe in.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

Ok, I already know about where a tire wears and what the broblem is/could be. I also how to check the toe and it is fine. I guess i ll just go to that shop and see what they can do.