Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uneven Rear Tire Wear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NerdBoy, Jul 17, 2003.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the back of my truck tonight, and I noticed that it was sitting funny. Upon further inspection, I found that the tires are wearing very unevenly. The outside of both rear tires are worn noticeably more than the inside. (1/8th to 1/4 inch of difference)
    I am now wondering what the cause of this might be.
    As far as I know, you can't really align the rear axle, so is there somewhere I should be looking in the suspension for wear?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

they are either over inflated or under inflated what kind of tires are they?

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

33x12.5 Remington Mud Brutes. They were cheap. I bought them used, but the wear was even on them at the time.

I am getting ready to go shopping for 35's, and I really want to make sure that I will not destroy the tires when I get them put on.

4. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Also, let me clarify, I thought that improper tire pressure would cause wear on the shoulders of the tire, but it would be on both shoulders of each tire. This is only on the oustside shoulder of each tire, and the tires are actually noticeably conical-shaped.

5. mudhog

yes it can cause it to only be on the inside or the outside

6. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I really do appreciate the information.

Ok, just went out and checked. Inflation seems correct. Anything else I can look at? Could bad shocks cause this on a rear axle?

7. mudhog

no problem /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i run my tsl swamper's at 23psi on the street and 12 on the trail and 5 in the sand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif