Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uneven tire wear questions **PICS ADDED**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Aug 26, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The tires on the frontend of my K5 are wearing prematurely and I can't seem to figure out why. The passenger side tire is wearing prematurely on the outside and the driver side tire is wearing prematurely on the inside and outside of the tire. I am running 36x14.5x15 PJ's. The tire pressures are all the same at 18psi. I just replaced ball joints and draglink ends when I lifted it. I also recently had the front end aligned too. Seems to me that my camber is off, but I didn't think you had camber in a SFA??

The only things I can think of are that the tires aren't on the specified rims (specified rim size 15x12), something is outta wack on the front end, or its just due to the width of the tires and the fact that the fronts turn and not the backs.

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks
    Ross

2. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Re: Uneven tire wear questions

18 psi
    from what i understand you shoulnt run under
    32 psi for street driving?
    someone with more info
    hopefully can help out,

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well for the tire that is wearing out faseter on both outside efges, you have too low of psi in the tire. As for the other side, that can be part of it, as well as camber being off. They do make camber plates for our trucks.

Dan

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Try more air pressure. Also the caster is probably out of whack with a 6" lift so the front axle probably needs to be shimmed. Mine was just on the edge of being in spec with 3" front springs.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    18 psi
    from what i understand you shoulnt run under
    32 psi for street driving?
    someone with more info
    hopefully can help out,

[/ QUOTE ]

The max psi on the sidewall is only 35 psi. I was running 25 psi but the centers were wearing out prematurely then.

[ QUOTE ]
    They do make camber plates for our trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do these consist of?

[ QUOTE ]
    Also the caster is probably out of whack with a 6" lift so the front axle probably needs to be shimmed.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would I need to shim?

Thanks

6. DesertDueler

The plate or shim goes inbetween the spindle and the knuckle. Get an alignment, find ou how far it is off, pull the spindle off, and put in the shim, and recheck.

Dan

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i only run 20 psi on my tires.the max psi rating is rated at the max weight designated on the tire.most tires over 30 inches have a load rating of c meaning they are of heavier consistency to hold more weight.you get into 16.5 inch tires of any size and most are a d load rating to again hold more weight.our truck are not heavy enough to run the maximum alowable psi for the tire.you need to estimate how much weight is on the front and rear of the truck and adjust psi accordingly percentage wise to what the max weight would be and the max psi you would run for that weight.so if the maximum weight rating on the side of the tire is 50 psi at 4000 pounds,and your frontend of your truck weighs about 2000 pounds,you would want to run 25 psi in the tires to get a good tread pattern and even wear.i hope i didnt confuse anyone.i had to read it again twice to make sure i hadnt confused my self.lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics.
    Driver front:
    [​IMG]

Passenger front:
    [​IMG]

Here is the driver rear to compare:
    [​IMG]

As you can see on the driver front they are wearin on the outside especially, and on the inside. On the passenger side they are only wearing on the outside.

9. DesertDueler

Also the outside edges of tires wear out faster if you make alot of sharp turns, u-turns. etc. How often do you rotate your tires? You need to do it every 5000 miles or so.

Dan

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I haven't had these tires on even close to 3000 miles. I think something is wrong with the front axle, but don't know where to start.

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

by the way, usually the maximum psi listed on the sidewall is for seating the beads....i couldnt even imagine why you would only run 18 psi on the street...id get the alignment checked out and have it fixed..

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just thought of something. Don't know if it means anything but, if I am indeed running too low a psi in the front tires, when I am turning could they be in a sense, "rolling under" and wearing specifically on the area mentioned?

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

no...but if your toe or camber/caster is out..then underinflation will only increase the tire wear issue...

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Camber will make it wear on the outer edges.
    The factory spec for camber on a 88 is 1.5* +/- .75.
    Its a wide spec. IF the guys who did the alignment did it right, they would set it to 0 to +.5. Need to find out what its really set to. You may be able to call them and see if its on record.

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Adjust tire pressure to tread wear pattern.
    Even left to right, although, it might require different pressures front to rear.

Rapid RF shoulder tread wear is not unsual.
    People take Left-hand turns quicker than Right-hand turns.
    They also, brake longer and harder during a left-hand turns.
    Both conditions, wear the RF outer tread shoulders quicker.
    This is why, cross-rotateing tires is so important.
    Also, slightly less positive camber to the RF might help compensate.
    (Negative Camber is the way you "think" the tire should be, Positive Camber is how the tire actualy is, in this case)

16. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This is all great info guys. I really appreciate it. My plan right now is to get the alignment and everything checked again on the front end and then go from there.

Anybody have any recommendations on what psi to run the front tires at? I'm thinking to start at 22 psi and see how that works.