Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uneven tire wear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by codeman, Oct 6, 2002.

1. codeman

codeman Registered Member

I just took off some M/T tires that were worn uneven. I replaced them with BFG AT's. The front passenger side tire already shows signs of uneven wear after only 500 miles! The wear is occurring on the line of blocks just to the inside of the outer ones. What could the problems be. I want to get this fixed before too long. The steering feels tight to me, but could it be alignment?

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A picture is worth a thousand words..

Your description doesn't tell us much. What kind of wear is it? Is it chopping, feathering, et cetera.

How much pressure are you running in the tires?

Does it have the stock 10 bolt under it?

What's your toe-in? Measure from the center line of one tire to the center line of the other tire. The casting seams work nice for this.

To me, it sounds like you've got sloppy balljoints or a bent axle tube. The chances are slim to none that the camber is off since there is virtually no adjustment in camber on a 10 bolt.

3. codeman

Well it does have the stock 10 bolt in it. I am running between 30 and 27 psi depending on tire temp. I would call the wear to be "chunking" on the outside of the blocks. The chunks are very small though. Another thing I should mention is that my steering stabilizer is leaking oil pretty bad. While I was trying to get it off I noticed my tie rod can be rotated quite a bit. It does not move side to side but it can be rotated. Not sure if this is normal or not.
    I will measure my toe in as soon as I find my tape measure.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had bad ball joints kill a tire in a 1000 mile trip...

Check all the steering components too, front wheel bearings, and especially ball joint 'play'. My tire cupped badly...I fixed the ball joints and put the bad tire on the right rear and burned it back to round/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

rene

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you've got some wicked negative camber (top of the tire tips in) to me. Put one side up on a jack and yank back and forth on the top of the tire. If it moves it's either wasted balljoints or wheel bearings.

If it were toe-in or toe-out it'd wear both tires. That's why I'm inclined to think it's not steering-orientated.

Of course, it could be a bent axle tube also. It just isn't that likely on the passenger side.

6. codeman

I measured from the centerline of one tire to the centerline of the other, I got 69.5 inches. That is with 32x11.5 tires and 15x8 rims with 3.75 backspacing. I don't know if this helps anyone.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You need to measure both the front and back side of the tire. The difference between the two will tell us what kind of toe-in you have.

I, myself, prefer 1/8" of toe-in.

8. codeman

OK, the front measured 69 1/2" and the back measured 70 1/16".
    That comes out to be 9/16" of toe in. Is that too much!

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

That's way too much. Even GM recommends no more than 3/8".

10. codeman

So how do I adjust that? Do I just turn the adjuster sleeve on the tie rod?

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Just unscrew the tie rod. It might be so rusty you'll end up replacing a tie rod end or two though because you can't get the loose without applying heat.

12. codeman

Oh I tried to get it loose but there is not way! Not sure what I am going to do. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif