Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unexplained cutting out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChrisR750, Sep 28, 2006.

1. ChrisR750

ChrisR750 Registered Member

Hey guys, need a little help. I have a 1987 FI 350 that's been acting up lately. From time to time, the fuel gauge will peg past full, almost going all the way around to E again, and at the same time, there's no power, presumably from a loss of fuel to the motor. It happens intermittently, usually only for a second, sometimes more than once in a row, other times just once. Then, the truck goes back to running like a champ...it's almost like it stumbles, then is fine. I've had it in to my mechanic several times, and we have tried easy things like o2 sensor, switching cpu's...nothing's worked. I should mention that the needle on the fuel gauge does bounce because when gas was really expensive someone siphoned my tank and apparently did some damage. Whether this is related or not, I don't know. Any suggestions?

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

probly needs a new sender and pump.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

May need a new tank, they may have broken the plastic fuel well. If all this started up after the siphoning incident, I'd be suspecting the tank/sender components and something being loose now, if it's not consistent.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  4. southern customs k5

southern customs k5 Newbie

check wiring for rat chews

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I would suspect that when they siphoned the gas, they screwed up the sender/pump assembly...