Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ungrateful People...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Nov 13, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Since Surpip put up his thread I figured I'd get this outta my system.

I put up a running 700R4 for sale on the local boards, nobody bit. I wanted it out of my garage so I decided to give it away.

A guy responded, posting for his friend, saying he'd take it. He asked that I deliver it....ok....it's a free running transmission and he lives 45 minutes out of my way. After a little prodding I agreed. Strike 1.

He went on to explain that his friend has five kids and had been limping around on his current transmission in his crusty suburban for over a year. This led me to believe that he wasn't very well off financially. Fine, I feel less pissed about delivering a free tranny.

So...I go to deliver it a couple weeks later and as I pull up, I notice many things aren't right. I'm driving into a rich subdivision, no old crusty suburbans in sight. There's a brand new 14-16' enclosed trailer next to the garage, a nice looking racing quad, a dirtbike that only looked a couple of years old, and a newer Toyota car in the garage. Strike 2, he might very well have been limping around on his transmission for a year, but only because his mortgage wouldn't let him afford a new one. Hell, the truck in question was nowhere to be found.

I get out of the truck, drop the tailgate, and set out the dust cover, dipstick and tube, and t-case adaptor on the tailgate. He introduces himself and shakes my hand...which he then proceeds to wipe off ON THE TRUCK. Strike 3. I drag the tranny out of the bed, and grab the bellhousing, expecting him to grab the tailshaft. Nope, stands there and says, "sorry man, I hurt my shoulder at work today"...you only need one hand to lift an automatic with two people. Strike 4.

I carry the tranny into the garage, expecting him to grab the other parts...which total 10 pounds or so. That doesn't happen. Strike 5. I go back to the tailgate, grab the other parts, put them next to the tranny in the garage. I receive a half assed and muttered thanks. Strike 6.

I drive off, seriously considering going back and taking my transmission with me. I don't think I'm gonna give free parts to anybody other than my friends anymore. I think that was just b.s. He couldn't pay $50 for the tranny, but he could take it for free...I guess there must have been no money after the payments for his house, wife's car, dirtbike, quad, and trailer. What a douche.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

X2.

I guess he felt like he was doing you a favor by taking your transmission for free?

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

When I had to take it to the garage for him and he didn't grab the other parts...I would've picked the trans back up and put it on the truck meanwhile saying, "I was doing YOU a favor, remember a$$hole?" and driven off

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I believe I would have quit at this point and took it back. this bugs the hell out of me.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

That **** right there woulda pissed me off somethin feirce

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, my hands had some ATF and grime on them from shuffling parts, so I can understand wiping your hand off. However, find a rag, wait until you get inside, don't do it on my tonneau cover.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Your to nice Mikey.. There are pros/cons about being nice. :doah:

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Go back and steal the bikes for payment for him being a jerk.

9. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

you should of put the tranny on the tail gate got in your truck and steped on the gas so you wouldnt have to take it down and let him worry about it! people like that piss me off

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Remember This....

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"...

The older I get,the more I believe that!..your story is a prime example!..I've been "too nice" most of my life too--sell things cheap, or give them away,because I believed someone's sob story--only to see said item up for sale at twice the price a short time later,or they come back bitching when they find it was not 100% perfect!..what do they expect for FREE??..

And yeah,I've been gullible enough to be talked into delivering things I gave away,and had to do all the heavy lifting and such--and not even be offered a cup of coffee or a cold drink for my efforts!..

I bet this is why we see many good things tossed in a dumpster,or vehicles in boneyards, still in good shape--the owners probably had been "burnt" by people like this in the past--and now they think "I'll just throw it away,rather than see someone else make a profit off it,or use it!--or come back later and say what a peice of junk it was!"..

Even my own mother pushes the limits of how much I should do for her,before I get angry--no one else in our family helps as much,but I'm always labeled "the ungrateful bastard" if I balk at doing something none of them would do!..:mad:

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Jeebus, he could have at least given you a reach around.

That guy was a d*ck. You should have just left at the handshake.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

your a good man. that punk will get his!!!