Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

unimogs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Jul 2, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

anyone on here running unimog axles or know where i could find out what is needed to put them under my k5?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

greg72 (i think thats his username) has them under one of his rigs I THINK. Or was planning on putting them under. I'm not sure

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Ryeguy had them under the Hulk, but he hasn't posted on here in a while. I think he may have sold it. But check out the pics anyway and see if that helps any.

4. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You are correct, sir.

Well....It's not done yet, but the plan is to sling a set of Mog404s under my '69K5.

Take a close look at Bretts link provided above. He's already done what I have only just started to build, and he can speak to the challenges first-hand.

Here are a few considerations to get you started:

20" Wheels - Mogs come set up for 20" wheels, so if you don't want to swap out the drums for disks you will need some big 'uns.

7.56 Gears - If you're not planning to run 44's, you probably will never get the highway RPMs low enough to drive it anywhere except on a trailer. The alternative is adding a 50% overdrive gear somewhere in your driveline. Overheating the portals is bad news too....

Engine clearance - Portals really get close to the oilpan if you are using moderate lifts. I'm thinking about dry-sumping my motor to get extra clearance.

3 or 4-Link Suspension - Odds of getting portals to work with leaf springs are slim & none. The amount of torque from the portal setup will bend leafs in a hurry. THIS IS THE PART WHERE MOST PEOPLE GIVE UP ON THE IDEA OF USING MOGS... It's a big commitment to re-design everything to get the Mogs to work.

Axle Width - Mogs are wide, though some careful selection of wheels with LOTS of backspacing can help. You can also have the housings cut down to make them similar widths to the 1-Ton Chebby stuff.

Mogs are cool swag to be sure..... you can get a set (with factory lockers!) for less than $2000. That's the cheap part.... everything that follows...ISN'T :D

The ground clearance under the pumpkins is insane. I'll have better clearance with 38s than the guys running D60/14BFF setups and 44's. :saweet:

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

WOW! that link to the mog swap was cool, but after reading a few writeups, i dont plan on going that route after all. the thing i liked the most was the gear reduction all the way out at the hub...i have seen those kind of hubs for a corp. 14 bolt in some magazine that gives you 4" of lift but i dont know where or what magazine it was in. if anyone has info on that that would be greatly appreciated. i have some 1 tons coming soon from oregon or somewhere out there. but i want the massive diff clearence like the mogs. so if anyone has seen those gear reduction hubs, drop a message here.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

mogs are mad bling, but personally, I wouldnt go through all those headaches on putting them in a normal truck. If I had the $$$$$$$ needed to do that, I'd just go ahead and build a buggy. It'd be soooo much easier that way. Rob the drivetrain from your 4x4 and make your own chassis to fit da mogz.

j

8. PsychoticDeadGuy

delete this thread

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I have a 1971 Unimog 421. Has factory 18" wheels, drums and 16.5s will not fit, period. Gears for mine was stamped on the housing at 9.3:1, haven't disassembled to verify. It is not very wide, at least doesn't seem like it, I may just have to measure it. Yes axle clearance is awesome!

10. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

They sound really good and they are bombproof. Too much work for me but I respect the time and work ye do to install them. Wanna sell your rig oce it is done, save me some time. :D