Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unimportant painting question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Jun 23, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What's a good way to paint the Chevrolet letters on my tailgate, for a fellow without a steady hand?

[​IMG]

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get some blue painter's tape and put rows of it across the letters then take an exacto knife and cut out the letters, cover the back of the truck to protect from over spray then have at it with the rattle can.

-Avery

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds good, but I can't follow a curve that well....

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have any kids around? I bet you could find a nice steady handed teenager to cut out some letters on a tailgate for $20. I would, well if I was closer it would only cost ya' a slurpee, freak its hot here. It's going to be like 110 for the next week!

-Avery

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheat!...

I've highlighted the letters by using a 3" paint roller,but use the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels or toilet tissue as the "roller",and only put enough paint on the roller to cover it evenly, so no drips happen...using the cardboard lets you press down firmly without the paint going any further than the surface of the letters...kind of like the way they "ink" up lettering blocks in a printing press....still gotta be careful though,but its a lot easier than masking them all off ,or painting each one by hand!..:crazy:

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Do what avery said, or Take some 1/2" masking tape, and use the edge around the letters, then fill in the gaps and overspray areas, rattle can away.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bob's method will work the best IMO...the stencilled approach is bound to end up looking goofy because the edges of those letters aren't square or easy to follow. Secondly you're likely to get a bunch of overspray unless you spend a while masking the hell out of the back of the truck.

Bob's method will do the job best and have it done in minutes. Just gotta keep the roller on at least two letters all the time.

Rene

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have used paint pens with good success but you got practice with em a bit cause its easy to get too much paint into the tip and have it run. Besides that truck could use a little blinging. Silver is nice

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've done the same in a pinch... :waytogo: Mostly on raised emblem work, have a 2" roller for that...

Gotta get the whole roller covered, yet very little paint on it... One case where less is better...

Tho I generally do sheetmetal stuff with a combo of olive and blue fineline, a razorblade and rattlecan if I have time...

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tape off the large area around the letters. Put 100% caranuba wax on every place you don't want the paint to stick. A thick coat. Spray Paint. Wipe.