Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Universal Aluminum radiator... and a tranny cooler....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, May 27, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I really want to run a 2 row aluminum radiator but i dont want to spend +$400 on one, when a universal one is about 160 bucks in summit... Could i just run a real big trans cooler... or maybe 2 tranny coolers Electric fans on 2 trans coolers? but then maybe im defeating the purpose of saving cash ....... Basically is there anyway to cool my tranny without going through the radiator? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The best tranny cooler on the face of the planet is a factory ac condenser. It's aluminum with 3/8" tubes and is two rows. Plus its friggin huge. Get ready to add trans fluid cause once you hook it up your gona be low. I hooked mine up and it dropped the trans temp considerably. Another benefit is that ther are factory places to mount if but if you have ac it won't work for you unless you do some custom mods. Other than that its awesome. If you know somebody that works with AC stuff he can probably get you oring fittings that go to barbs for your hose hookups. I can't remember the sizes its like 6 an and 8 an female to barb I think. You better check that though. Don't forget to run a can of trans flush through the condenser first.

3. Silver84k5

i took out all the heating ac stuff. as in there is no box under the hood anymore... and i threw away the AC pump... so i kinda screwed myself on that one /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. cybrfire

Go to the junkyard and pick one up. Probably cheaper than buying a new dinky tranny cooler.

5. Silver84k5

i would but i already have a shiny piece of diamond plate covering the hole where the box was... and i like the extra room in the engine compartment... Im gonna try to come up with somethin and if not i guess im gonna spring for 4 core... or a the aluminum rad. for the auto trans... Thx........

6. cybrfire

I think you are misunderstanding me. The condenser is a peice of the AC that goes in front of the radiator. Doesn't have anything to do with the heater box.

7. Silver84k5

ahhhh ok i see what your saying.. my bad... i was thinking about that thing when i first read your post... alright ill give that a shot...

8. Silver84k5

thats funny cuz i threw that thing away when i bought the trans cooler i have now...

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have always been told that you need a water to oil cooler for the tranny because it's most effective. I considered the same thing with the alum but finally just went with a 4 core.

10. cybrfire

First I had just the cooler in the rad. Temp was too high. Then I added an aftermarket cooler and bypassed the rad. Temp went down. Then I went back into the rad using the cooler also and temp went back up. This lead me to the conclusion that the water puts heat back into the tranny fluid before going back into the trans. This last time round I am not in the rad only in the big AC condenser that has been convereted into a cooler.

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

So do I understand this that I can run my trans cooler lines straight to the ac condensor and back instead of thru the radiator and transcooler then back and this wont cause any overtheating problems?? Can I put the condensor in the back along with the new radiator (a universal aluminum radiator in the back)????

12. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Sounds like that would work fine to me. The AC condensor is a cylinder about 10 inches high, or am I looking at something else?

13. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

No it looks like a radiator shrunk down. Mounts in front of the rad on an A/C rig.

14. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Gotcha!