Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Universal joint lubrificated with ATF??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JORGE, Jun 17, 2002.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    I have a doubt.Maybe a full doubt,but i,ve an 88 k5 with the NP208 T-case.It leaves an ATF spot in the floor.The ATF drops from the U-joint(The joint near to the T-case output)
    I though it was to be the T-case output seal,and i have to remplaced it.But the ATF continues droping from the joint.
    Could it to be ,the output shaft had a interior conduct for lubrificate the joint with ATF wich would comes from the Transfer,and it is leaking cause the joint wear?
    Thanks for your replys.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It's still most likely your seal. If the u-joint is bad, it could eat another seal fairly quickly. You could also have a bearing bad in the T-case. That could cause a seal to go.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I am fairly confident that this is not the case. The U-joint is a normal greased unit and ATF is coming from the slip-yoke seal and trickling down to the U-joint, where it drips. If you had a U-joint lubed by the 'case, it would be very difficult to find a replacement!

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

befor i converted my 208 to a fixed yoke i had problems with mine leaking...the only thing that fixed the leak (for a short time..about 6 months) was to replace the yoke itself, the seal and the metal bushing thats in the tail shaft...it did stop leaking but soon started again about 6 months later.. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

if you have a one pirce driveshaft as I do, then I think I can help. I had the same problem a few months ago. My D-shaft is a little bent and causes a vibration, that vibration does 3 things. 1 it eats U-joints, 2 it warps the output shaft and pinion seals, and 3 it rattles the u-joint plug located on the driveshaft input trans yolk loose. when you are under the truck, as you look up into the space between the joint and the front yolk, you might notice a freeze plug type of part working its way out towards the u-joint (towards the rear of the truck) when this little baby creeps out it can leak durring opperation (in drive) because the fluid is moving throughout the t-case. it appears as if the u-joint itself is leaking, however, it isn't. the way I fixed it tepmorarily is by using a large screw driver and using the u-joint as a lever to pry the plug back further into the hole and it worked for me, I would recommend removal of the driveshaft and pounding it in flush with the yolk surface for a more reliable fix. hope this helps... good luck.

Jeremy

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's right, there was a post about this a while back. These can start to leak and people were putting JB Weld and stuff up in the hole.

7. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

When I had my 208 it always leaked from that seal, at times dripping down off the u-joint. It went away for a little bit after replacing the tail shaft housing, but quickly returned. I agree with the shaft is probably worn. Either time for a new shaft or go to fix yoke.

~ Russ

8. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your help friends,
    Foxman,i,m going to check it like you say.Then,the trouble is in the yoke?What is a "freeze plug"?(Sorry this names scapes to me)The yoke is the piece wich come out from the t-case,this piece and the proper shaft are united by the u-joint,is correct?I have a little trouble to translate some kind of automotive names.
    However we,ll talk tomorrow .I,m going to try to locate the plug you says.
    Thanks.

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I,ve cheking the ATF leaks and yes,it leaks by the piston wich is in the yolke axle center.This piston, not surpass the hole were is located surface.Then ,you say, i must to push it into the hole ?I,ve tryed to do this with a long screw driver,and is not possible ,is very hard ,the screw drives goes to bent before to displace the piston.
    Foxman,how many distance did you displaced the piston into the hole?I want to mean,hoe many distance btween the piston head and the hole surface? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    Thanks.

10. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Well I just pushed mine in flush with the flattest surface of the yoke. I've heard of cleaning it off with brake cleaner and applying some silicone to the area around the plug. might be exactly what yopu need to do to stop it from working its way out on you. you might considder removal of the driveshaft and dissassembly of the joint in order to get a better look/handle on it. hope this helps.

Jeremy.

11. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Yes , on mine the plug is already in flush with the yolke surface,and i can,t to pushing it more .I,ve applyed Loctite gum around the plug perymetyer,but it not adhering very good.I want to put a O ring in the yolke mouth,and a Teflon band around the output grooved.It would to be good to get some kind of oil resistant liquid gum,and flowing it by the yolke mount,to create a film in the depth,about 1 mlm fat,to stopping the ATF.
    Thanks.

12. MR.GADGET

MR.GADGET Registered Member

Its been covered but:
    Mine would not stop leaking so after two seals I found that there was to much
    ATF in the case and drained some. One week later the leak returned! Did it agian !
    Then I found that the trans. ATF goes down the same amount as what I drained
    from the transfer case. So I did the seal between the trans and transfer and also
    found the the rear yoke was leaking at the cap close to the u-joint so I put some
    silicone around it and 1.5 years later no leaks.
    Jon

13. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

i,ve replaced the seal between the trans and the t-case one week ago,i had a leak by the case and trans union gasket.Also ,today i,ve put a "Cool solder" gum,JB weld type around the cap,and also in the yolke interior depth.I,ve rolled the grooved output with a Teflon band too.I must to wait 24 hours to leave the gum makes a solid film.
    However,howmany ATF must to have the Case?I ,ve filled it until the oil drains by the fill hole itself.
    Thanks.

14. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

I had the exact same problem, ATF was coming out of the center of the yoke (T-case output shaft). My solution was to remove the drive shaft and yoke then "pop" out the cap. I filed down the edges, cleaned it really good, roughed up the mating surfaces, and JB welded it back in place. No leaks yet !?! That leak was a mystery for a long time !

Hope this helps, Eric

15. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Does anyone have pictures of the cap you are talking about, I can't picture it in my head

16. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

Sorry no picture. I suppose "cap" is a bad description. It's actually a round flat (flat washer with no hole)piece of steel,like a quarter, that is pressed in the end of the shaft (u-joint end) after they machine the splines through the center of the yoke. Somehow, mine wasnt sealing good and I was able to pop it out from the inside. I never knew it was there till I pulled the yoke out and discovered the poor fit. The only cause I can think of is that my driveshaft is a touch too long and it allowed the output shaft of the 208 to "punch" out the plug when the rear suspension compressed. Does that help ?

17. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Yes it helped, thanks