Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Universal Joints - Brands

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jan 30, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I use to always use Timken ujoints but the auto place carries another brand now (non-greasable)! They are pretty beefy, larger than the one I replaced anyways.
    Its called, brute-force (not raybestos brand).

What are some good u-joint brands that I can look for outside the local shops?
    Have any numbers for factory 10bolts, or the 3/4-1ton conversions? (minus CTM, way out of the budget right now)

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i belive not positve though that brute force joints are solid

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Brute Force is made by Neapco. Its a good joint. I have one in one side of the front axle and one in the diff end of my rear shaft.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Neapco

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah thats it! I never hear of it before? Is it solid, do you know?

5. bigjbear

They have been around since 1928 and it stands for New England Auto Products Corporation. The Brute Force is made in the USA and I think the normal ones are, too. They have a full line, both solid and greasable. They used to list the P/Ns on their web site but its not working right now.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Pretty well all the joints on my truck and my wifes are now Brute force (except for the CTM's in the front axle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The seem to hold up fine and not had any problems out of them.

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They carry those at the Agri-Supply down the road. They do look beefy! I'm getting several parts from that shop to go on my next rig. Hydro rams pretty cheap! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i've had the brute force in my truck now for 2 years and never had a problem.i have done moderate wheeling also.the part # for conversion 1/2 ton to 1 ton is #3-3140.neapco doesnt make it in the brute force version but that # is for the greasable one.

9. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

go to an auto supply store and buy a set of dana-spicer joints. they are cheap and the best quality i have found (oem design joints) part # 5-297x fits 10 bolt and dana 44 front

10. bigjbear

The problem w/ Spicers is finding them. Fewer and fewer stores are carrying them. Auto Zone recently started stocking Spicer steering parts so I am hopeful they will also begin to stock the Spicer u-joints.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Neapco U joints. They are about all I use. If I cant get them I go with Rockwell They make then in solid or greasable types.
    I get them from my local drive line shop. They are the experts. They carry the best U Joints and have the all the types I need.
    Sometimes I dont trust some of the stuff I get from auto parts stores

12. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I get the Brute Force joints I us at Autozone. They have always held up real well with the exception of a front axle joint that I installed about 5-6 weeks ago. It only held up for about 3 weeks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, so when it broke it messed up both axle shafts on that side. I will probably keep using them, I hope this one was just defective or something, and they have a lifetime warrany so I have allready gotten a new one for replacement. And to make this story worse on the same day 2-3 hours later I broke a lower balljoint on the opposite side which in turn broke both axle shafts on that side. I replaced all the balljoints in November, I got them at Advance Auto Parts, they are Federal Mogul brand, and it too has a warranty so I got the broken ball joint replaced. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of the bed /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

13. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have had brute force a lot before, they are life time, but the ones i got werent greasable. the grease channel that was in there would always get plugged up and fry a cap or two in 3-5 months. i use spicer when i can find it and napa lifetime when i cant

14. bigjbear

Lifetime NAPA is neapco. Read the box or ask the sales guy.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

call Spicer and ask for a dealer list in your area.
    heavier trucks use spicers so they are available everywhere, you just have to look in different places

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author