Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

universal technical institute ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Apr 3, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

has anyone attended or know anyone who has attended UTI ?
    i just recieved info on it and im really considering it.

collision repair and refinish technology

thanks for any info/comments, etc

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

It is a respected tech school. Wyo Tech is a good school too...your stepping in the right direction! good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cool

i already tried for wyotech but couldnt come up with the last $2k of the tuition that i needed to, after all the FAFSA form stuff and etc.

its either this or chassis fab- in which id rather go in for- but i think i can become even more interested in automotive refinishing once i got started with it, ive had experience in the past being a helper in an auto-body repair shop so,,.
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

im looking for any info or suggestions or anything on any of this at all

thanks

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Send muddysub a PM. He's attending an automotive school in Phoenix. I think it may be UTI. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

I went to UTI in Phoenix in 1980.It`s a good school.Back then they had auto,deisel,repair when I graduated in 1981 they were starting to offer a refrigeration class.I don`t know if they still do this or not,but once you complete the class.You can go back in a few years and take it again for free.This way you can learn about the latest technology.Jon

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

im a student at UTI phoenix right now...

its not bad... you get out what u put in, but you can only get so much out when the equipment and school are 30+ yrs old. ive spoken to guys who have attended other campuses and they say that phx is really laid back and run down compared to houston and rancho coucamonga. honestly if i knew back in april of last year what i know now about UTI, i wouldnt have gone. like i said im talking about the PHX campus, the others may be better.

most of the time in mot impressed with this school. a lot of the classes are repeats of eachother like the one i just finished and the new one i start today in an hour and a half. there are 3 classes on emissions controls and driveability, the first one is hard cuz you're learning a lot the second one is not so bad then the third is 3 grueling weeks of the same repetitive sh!t youve been doing for the last 6 weeks. the HOT ROD U program... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif its a joke! sure u learn the specifics of engine building like cam degreeing and flow testing heads.. but my roommate is in one of the hot rod classes right now and their small block chevy (the only thing u build in the classes) has been torn down put together and beat on by students 4 times on the same cam, rod and main bearings! he finally bitched enough to get a new set of cam bearings for it then realized his crank has been abused badly. bad enough that it needs to be turned or replaced but thy told him to smooth out the bearing races with scotchbrite and solvent. scotchbrite cant remove a .015" (15 thousandths of an inch) deep gouge in a crank shaft. on desktop dyon (an old version cuz the school wont buy a new version) their engine is predicted to produce a mean driveline snapping 215HP. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    half the training aid cars dont run right or at all... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif some of the cars in hot rod need new engines or other parts, we need newer/more emissions testing equipment... but they can afford to send the schools 98 honda civic to a body shop for a wing and paint when it'll never go past the dyno cell... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    theres too much to list right now PM me if u want more information.

scott

and yall wonder why i dont like it in phoenix... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting hmm..

yeah this info i received is from the Houston school.

wish i was somewhere with warmer climate such as Phoenix or Houston, etc.

some day,,. ive got to get into school or something ASAP though

anyone else with any more info on this particular school or on any other collision repair or chassis fabrication type schools anywhere?

i dont know anything else that i am possibly interested in getting into. i just wish it was about 40 years in the past right now, when vehicles were real, missed out on all that..

thanks

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Randy, vehicles may not be "real" anymore, but they're much more complex, and you can sure as hell charge a lot more to fix them nowadays than you could in the past! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you want a fabrication school? check out the univerrstiy of northwestern ohio, they were in the new petersons magazine. they design suspension and chassis setups then go test them in their off road park or on RTI ramps. and offer business management type classes so u can run your own off road shop, i wish i had known about it before i went to uti. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

collision repair... wyotech they have an awesome paint and body program.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Randy, what field do you want to pursue? Chassis fab is very different from general auto body repair. Deciding first will help you make the right school choice for you. Remember, no matter what choice you make people may disagree, this is normal and does not mean you are making the wrong decision. Make your career decision, gather all the info you can and go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I have two guy's that are graduates of UTI that work for me right now,,,they have worked for me in the refrigeration field for 10 years now. They are also the top paid sevice techs in our shop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThe two are brothers and have worked their way up from the bottom to the top. I belive that UTI offers a great oppertunity if your wiling to apply yourself and learn,if you don't want to excell in what you do for a living then don't waste the classroom space. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I have two guy's that are graduates of UTI that work for me right now,,,they have worked for me in the refrigeration field for 10 years now. They are also the top paid sevice techs in our shop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThe two are brothers and have worked their way up from the bottom to the top. I belive that UTI offers a great oppertunity if your wiling to apply yourself and learn,if you don't want to excell in what you do for a living then don't waste the classroom space. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

good points!
    have to first have an interest in what you are going to school for starters

i dont know how ppl mange to pick something to go to school for, its all beyond me, i really have no idea what i want to do or should do, mayeb im never going to know

i do know that id love to and dream of having my own yard and rollback and tow trucks and so forth, have recovery and towing and long distance hauling

but how can i get started ?

good luck.,

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Randy, what field do you want to pursue? Chassis fab is very different from general auto body repair. Deciding first will help you make the right school choice for you. Remember, no matter what choice you make people may disagree, this is normal and does not mean you are making the wrong decision. Make your career decision, gather all the info you can and go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i would be more interested by far in mechanics of vehicles, not engines and trannies like in a mechanic kind of way, but in the chassis and suspension theories and design, for sure, would be badass to get into, but again... i hvae no clue how to get into this stuff, i am shrouded due to where i live- here- in which ive always lived, nothing even remotely similar to the above exists, i have never witnessed any such things here ever, but i know i am very interested in geting into it,

thanks

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Randy, vehicles may not be "real" anymore, but they're much more complex, and you can sure as hell charge a lot more to fix them nowadays than you could in the past! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so true! huge kudos to those who have managed to go to and make it through all the training for these new vehicles out there and manage to be able to use the equipment involved in diagnosing problems within and repairing these vehicles today. would take years and years ot train and learn everything

congrats,

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Randy, its been under your nose all along...

Lincoln Land Community College

Only about 30 miles away too.

[ QUOTE ]
    AUTO BODY REPAIR
    TRUCK DRIVER TRAINING CDL ADVANCED
    TRUCK DRIVER TRAINING CDL BASIC

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling you would qualify for 100% Financial Aid with no income for the last 2 years.

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Kenny, hey, thats in springfield, good deal /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

now to find a vehicle so i can get there for classes everyday,

got to find a job to get a vehicle, as i have been trying to line up since aug '02

hmm...

going to contact LLCC and get info on the CDL training /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks!

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

No problem. Dont be afraid to use www.google.com if you want more info on something /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is how I found that college. I might be able to help you out with a line on a dependable truck for cheap if you get back into your factory job. I'll PM you some info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah i use google everyday if i am on the puter, my homepage is google and everything

i would definitely be interested in locating a reliable gm truck once i get back to the plant or somewhere, i just talked to manager of steak and shake today he said he is going to see what he can do also /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    gotta find something.

thanks man /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

19. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

i might go to uti for diesel engines and auto