Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

University of Phoenix Online thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Anyone done any of the online classes? Costs? Good idea, bad idea?

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I didn't go through University of Phoenix specifically, but I finished up my B.A. online, and I thought it was great! No fukkin classes, didn't have to fight through all the BS of being on campus, I could work at my own pace from the comfort of my own home (after 2 years of traditional college classes, I was able to finish in ~11 months). I plan to pursue an additional B.A. and Masters online. I highly recommend it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have been investigating online undergraduate programs for a little while now. I want to get my BSME but having a wife, 2 kids, a house, 3 vehicles and current student loans has kept me from going back to a traditional college or university.

My biggest concerns are cost, and the legitimacy of those degrees. Will a degree from Phoenix Online or Kennedy-Western be considered the same as a degree froma good state university? I hope so.

So along with Bubba, I ask who has had any expereince with online degree programs?

Tim, if I may ask, what program did you go through? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same boat. Want to finish my degree, but unfortunately life got here before I was ready. I've done a bit of research and from what I can gather, Universtiy of Phoenix on-line seems to be the most reputable of all virtual campuses. It is rather expensive and doesn't, at least the last time I checked, offer any professional degree programs (ie architect, engineer, etc.) which are some of the drawbacks. Then there is the publics preconcieved notions of on-line degrees. Some things to consider.

Check into US News and World Report, they publish a book on Off-campus degree programs. Goes into detail on each schools' accreditation (which will help you distinguish the diploma mills) as well as available student aid, residency requirements (believe it or not some require a minimal amount of time on campus) as well as degrees offered. I will say this as well, most of the nationally accredited public colleges offer very limited amount, if any, in undergraduate course work. Most of the off-campus course work is only on the graduate level.

Unfortunately for me, no undergraduate course work is offered in the degree program I started (Civil Engineering/Building Science). So I am trying to find a job that doesn't require as much travel as my present job and buckle down for the next year-and-a-half to finish it up.

If you have any other questions, ask me. I've done a lot of research on the subject.

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you haven't already graduated with an engineering degree? It sounds like you have because I didn't understand a thing you said... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

FFFFuuuunnnyyyyy!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Now if I could just get you to convince some college counselors...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim, if I may ask, what program did you go through?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure! I went through Regis University's (Denver, CO) online degree program. Regis is a great school, and the ODP is very good. I would highly recommend it!

8. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

If you're self employed then I'm sure they are fine, but those schools are most likely non-accredited so it's only a legitamite degree in your eyes. Not saying it isn't a good idea just that you will have a lot of trouble gaining credentials with a degree of that sort.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

If you are self employed, then what the hell would you need a degree for? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm going back to school soon to finish up my history degree so I can be a teacher. I've been thinking about these as well, maybe some of the classes will transfer to my college and I can save myself the hour commute each way for a little while. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Self employed people need degree's also, some people going to school actually learn valuable information /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Damn, wish I would have learned something important in my 4 years at college. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Regis is fully accredited...it's a 4 year private school with a campus in Denver...they just make a few degrees available for completion online.

13. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I looked into UofP for my MBA. I found it to be very expensive, around 24k for an MBA versus ASU (Arizona State U) at 13k. I wouldn't have had to take a gmat to get in, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think all the programs at UofP are accredited. I also have a friend who went there, paid for by his company, to get his MBA and thought curriculum didn't seem the best. They try to attract the people who are already working and have company policies to pay for the tuition. If your paying out of pocket I think that there are better choices.

Mike

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

A lot of community colleges offer classes on cable.... then you go once a month and take a test.... I wish I could do that. However with photography going to be my major, I need the lab, so I'm stuck.... too bad I'm on a waiting list 3 miles long. Maybe someday I will get in....

15. CAVANALK5

CAVANALK5 1/2 ton status

Eastern OK (Home of Cavanal, World's Highest Hill)
    I know....hella old thread, but any new thoughts, suggestions on this? I really need to finish my teaching degree. I have an associate's in business. The way it is around here, as long as you pass certain exams you can teach with just about any degree. So criminal justice, business, etc. are possibilities. Thanks!

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've seen a few brass resumes with University of Phoenix degrees listed.

17. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Jenn teaches for Rio Salado Community College online. She always seems to have plenty of students. Not a four year degree but some classes can be gotten out of the way.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Around here you can start at one of the community colleges and take a lot of the courses on line. As long as the school is in the university system all the credits transfer to the 4 yr schools. Saves time and money that way.

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I am currently enrolled in UoP although I am taking a break for about six months or so. I looked into many options for finishing my degree before I chose UoP. First, they are accredited. However, as with any college, some people will look down their nose at UoP preferring a brick and mortar college degree. However, the same attitude exists between traditional colleges as well. Some people who have attended private universities will look down on state colleges too.

Second, the curriculum is fine for most working people who are simply trying to get that leg up in their current line of work or who are looking to advance in their career. For a new college student in their twenties, I would recommend the traditional school. College provides a lot more than just book learning and coming out of four to eight years of living tough helps you in a lot of ways.

Third, I chose UoP and went completely online for the convenience. I don't have a problem being disciplined and maintain a 4.0 no problem. If you are one who has a tough time forcing yourself to get your work done unless you have somebody physically pushing you to do it, then all online might not be for you. UoP has remote campuses and does regular classes and combination online and campus work. One down or up side of UoP depending on your view is that between 20% and 30% of your grade comes from group participation. You submit individual assignments, but also work in a team to submit a group assignment. For me, I refused to get anything less than an A on everything and found that sometimes the weaker links on the team would just ride on the harder workers coat tails. If you find yourself on a lazy team, you can double your workload if you want to keep your grades up. On the other hand, if you get a good team, then life is easy and your work is top quality.

Lastly, I looked at my local colleges and while many now offer online courses, they don't have it dialed in like UoP does. There are other schools also proficient at all online curriculums too. The big standard colleges are trying to get into the business but really don't dedicate the time and effort that the ones who specialize in online courses are able to do. Now, the downside of UoP and other online courses is cost and time. They are expensive and they are high pressure if you want good grades. With UoP you are cramming a semester into five weeks. This means you are pretty much doing schoolwork 7 days a week for long hours. You also have to be able to get online frequently and participate a lot. There is a tremendous time committtment to an online course. Having said that though, UoP has a lot of resources online available to you. Their library and search engines are outstanding and you can pretty much get any information from their site for any class without going to a library or spending long hours searching other sources for your research. They also have a lot of online help for writing and reviewing your submissions prior to making a final turn in.

I am working towards my communications degree with UoP and if I move on to an advanced degree, I will probably do another college so I have a mix of online and traditional.

20. cdoggwsu

cdoggwsu 1/2 ton status

Another thing to consider is that in 2003 - when Bubba started this thread - online school was still pretty new.

Here we are 6 years later and the programs are now a lot more legitimate, acknowledged and generally well-received by employers across the board. Heck, I've seen a lot of people applying for IT positions around here with little more than ITT Tech degrees.