Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

unknown spring driver seat

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roadrash, Oct 4, 2002.

1. roadrash

roadrash Registered Member

I have a 71 Blazer that has a spring contraption behind the driver's seat on the vertical portion of the step going into the rear seat area. Any ideas of what it is? Don't know if it is stock or not. The spring has a handle on one side and attaches to the step on the other side.

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I asked the same question a while ago. From the responses I got it is a jack mount.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you got a picture of this "spring thing"?

I'm curious to see what it is that you're describing..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. roadrash

I don't have a picture of the spring. It is right behind the drivers seat on the vertical portion of the step. It is about 20"long and about 3/4" in diameter. At one end there is a bracket that is bolted into the step which secures one end of the spring and about midway down there is hook shaped bracket that prevents the spring from rattling against the step. At the other end of the spring next to the driver's door, the spring has a "T" handle on the end which you hook on to another bracket attached to the vertical portion of the step. There isn't much room behind he drivers seat and the step, so I don't know what you could put in that space. It might just be some weird contraption that previous owner installed.

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

It is something the previous owner installed. I have the same piece. Like I said I was told by the guys on the 67-72 chevy trucks board it was for a jack. I looked for the post but I guess they no longer have it in their database. I will try to post a pic of mine if I can get a camera.

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think i have one too,but dont know whats it for though,sorry /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

It is the factory installed spring to hold a bottle jack and tire iron. My factory assembly manual actually has directions on how to mount the jack using this spring. Trucks have a similar spring mounted underneath the bench seat. I removed the spring from my old '72 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif when I installed a new carpet kit, couldn't for the life of me think of a good use for it!

8. roadrash

Thanks for the answer. Maybe my rear passengers can use it to hold a "cold one"