Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unofficial 14FF Q's Forum

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Sep 24, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Unofficial 14FF Q\'s Forum

It seems like everyone on here recently has been asking a lot of questions about 14ff's and installing them. I dont know, it might be the time of year everyone wants to do modifications on their truck (im putting in a 14ff myself next month.) And the fact that I myself have a few questions about them, that made me want to post this. For the sake of saving steve some space and making a reference for people to post new 14ff questions on and find answers to old questions, I have decided to post this. I know there are still enough questions to make this stay at the top of the page for a while, until this interest in 14 ff's wears out. And to get it started, I have a few questions of my own to ask. I bought a 14ff from a military surplus store. It has 4.56 gears and a detroit locker in it. I know that it is at least 4 years old but dont know if it is older than that. It is brand new and has never been used. I saw on a post somewhere on here, that somebody said on like 88 and up 14ff's, the spring perches and shock mounts are in the same place as the 1/2 tons. I dont know if this is true or not, but I am going to start grinding the spring perches off of mine on saturday, and would like to know if I should start that or not. My other question is, if they do have to be moved, exactly how far and in which direction should i move the spring perches and shock mounts to fit on my 87 K5 that had 10B's? Thanks for looking.
    -Harrison

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Unofficial 14FF Q\'s Forum

have ya tried busting out the measuring tape to compare the distance from spring center pin to spring center pin on your K5 and the new axle? seems like that'd be the easy way to find out if it'll fit or not. I also got my ff14b new-in-crate... i had to move my perches a little bit... you may not have to. Only real way to be sure is measure. Also, before you weld your perches back on you might want to rotate the housing a bit so you wont need shims to get the pinion/driveshaft angles how you want them. Prolly be best to tack em on, check the angles and adjust as necessary.

j

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I figured somebody would probably say why didnt you measure. The reason for this is because I am in one place, my truck is in another, and the 14ff is in yet another. Kinda hard to get to them. I wont be able to see them all untill I go to move the perches this weekend. I will try to measure them this weekend though. One thing though, how exactly do you measure from spring center pin to spring center pin with that big clunking differential in my way? Thanks.
    -Harrison

4. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how exactly do you measure from spring center pin to spring center pin with that big clunking differential in my way?

[/ QUOTE ]

One good way I have found is to use some old lift blocks if you have any laying around, or if you have a helper, hold a couple of long bolts in the spring pin holes, making sure they are perpendicular, and then measure between them.

If your rear-end is from a 84-88 CUCV military truck, which is what it sounds like to me, they have the same spring pad distance as their civilian counterparts, so it should bolt right up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The reason for this is because I am in one place, my truck is in another, and the 14ff is in yet another. Kinda hard to get to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i assume that when you go to install your new axle you WILL be able to "get to them". measure then.

lift blocks are a handy way to measure as ss noted... but if you have a helper to hold one end right over the center pin, its not to hard to eyeball it and get a measurement thats close... if the perches need to be moved, it wont be a fraction of an inch or anything so an eyeballin' it type measurement is good enough to atleast find out whether or not you need to move the perches.

j

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For the sake of saving steve some space and making a reference for people to post new 14ff questions on and find answers to old questions, I have decided to post this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are concerned about space, why ask all these questions before you have the axle and your K5 in the same place? If they are Military axles w/4.56 gears & a Detroit, it is more than likley for a 1 ton. 1 ton's require the perches to be move out, and the shocks mount will need to be relocated.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree it is probably for a 1ton. I don't think the military used 3/4tons, just blazers and 1tons. That is awesome you found a brand new unit. I got my 14FF at the junk yard out of a 77'. You never know how many miles and if it was abused or not and that is kind of unsettling. Mine looked good inside but still it's used so u never know. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway thats great that you have a new 14, what did it cost you and what size brakes? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. steelsoldiers

Actually, the CUCVs trucks were classified as 1.25-tons /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You're right about moving the spring pads though, my bad /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

I also got mine for 150bux out of a junk yard. Inspected it and everything looked good. Installed it to find out the pinion bearings where shot!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Does anyone make a SWITCHABLE locker for the 14bff's?
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. steelsoldiers

Not yet, but some folks are still working on it. Detroit is your best option currently, IMO.

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyway thats great that you have a new 14, what did it cost you and what size brakes? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    The brakes are the 13" drums. I got it brand new with 4.56's and a detroit for $550.
    -Harrison

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got it brand new with 4.56's and a detroit for $550.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, THAT was a deal!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Since this is the "official 14BFF question forum" I have got a question. What years if any were the shocks mounts reversed from the usual driverside=back of axle tube and pass=front side of axle tube. The reason I ask is that my 14Bff has had the shock mounts have been swapped from driver=front of tube and pass=back of axle tube. Is this a later model axle or something or someones creation?

Krennen

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have one more question as well. Regardless of what year my 14 is, and how far the perches need to be moved, what is the distance from spring center pin to spring center pin that the perches have to be to fit under my 87 K5? Thanks.
    -Harrison

16. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Since this is the "official 14BFF question forum" I have got a question. What years if any were the shocks mounts reversed from the usual driverside=back of axle tube and pass=front side of axle tube. The reason I ask is that my 14Bff has had the shock mounts have been swapped from driver=front of tube and pass=back of axle tube. Is this a later model axle or something or someones creation?

Krennen

[/ QUOTE ]
    Im not sure, but I though all 1 ton 14B axles had the reverse mounted shock mounts.
    -Harrison

17. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what is the distance from spring center pin to spring center pin that the perches have to be to fit under my 87 K5?

[/ QUOTE ]

42.5" center to center /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

What should I look for in a used 14b..What shloud i stay away from..

19. steelsoldiers

Get one out of a late 70's early 80's 3/4 ton pickup. It will already have the right spring pad width. I prefer the open diff. so you can slap a detroit in it and call it good. Some came from the factory with the Gov-Loc, they're better than the 10-bolt gov-pop, but I still don't trust 'em. Some had limited slips too. Make sure you pull the cover and check the diff. condition. Get the u-bolts and spring plates from the donor truck. I payed $75 for mine from a salvage yard. It's an open diff 4.11 from a '79 2wd truck. Happy hunting!

20. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was going to go move the perches on my 14B today, but couldnt get out there seeing that my TH700r4 lost everything except first yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif This sucks.
    -Harrison