Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unofficial Baja 1000 Update

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

This is unofficial, just pulled it off the BFG times...............

13 P03 303 BFG RAFFO, CHRIS 12:08:00 3:48:28 7:09:33 11:59:30 :00:00 :00:00 :00:00 :00:00 :00:00
    OUT 31.556 34.484 29.039

The times appeared to be competitive with second/third in class. Been trading PM's with miniwally, and he is waiting on a phone call. So looks like they are out.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Thanks,
    <font color="white">Stan</font>Bubba, we appreciate the updates /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Yup, I've been following it since last night myself and looks like they must have broken something important.

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Still no word yet on what happened. It could have bee anything at that point. Although they did have a spare front axle, Transmission, Transfercase, and several driveshafts. I can't imagine them not trying to get fixed and back on course. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I will look and see what time the next checkpoint closed and see if they were running to short on time to fix something major.

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I was thinking something major like engine or suspension damage beyond easy repair. I was pulling for Robby Gordon (since I am a NASCAR fan). He was kicking ass until a broken rear R&amp;P took him out for awhile.

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well Stephen is back in the States and we have talked to him. Alternators took them out o the race in the end. They lost the first one near a pit and were able to limp in and get the spare mounted and a new belt put on. Stephen started driving and he said that he lost the alt at some point and limped into another pit. They only had the one spare and couldn't make anyting else work so they were out.
    Seems that perhaps there might be some kind of bad wiring problem on the chassis.
    Stephen said that the truck was running very well and seemed to be handling and tuned great.
    Too bad Alt. ruined their race. We had both rebuilt before the race by a very good shop so I don't think poor work was to blame.

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

That sucks! Such a small part to end the effort so early. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Well, the race will be there next year.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

They landed in the Locos Mocos pit at RM439 (Race Mile 439). I'd have rather not met Stephen and Chris that way, but it was good to meet them both.

When they pulled in the alt belt had worn to the point it was slipping. Figured this was an easy fix and they'd be back at it. New belt and good tension didn't fix it. I got called away so I don't know exactly all that was tried. I think it was better that Stephen opted to stop where there were people and fire as it was a cold night. There are a couple narrow sections down the course from the LMc pit that would have made a big problem had the K5 run out of juice there.

In the morning less foggy brains were able to look things over and they decided to charge the batteries &amp; drive it out up the course back towards the Bay of L.A. On our own exit northward up the course we came across a couple of their chase rigs, but never saw the K5 again.

BTW, we had to jump start it a couple of times and the closest vehicle was Larry Ragland's Trophy Truck with a SEIZED engine. So they can now say that one of desert racing's all time Legends jump started them.

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I guess this is an official update now.
    Lost both alternators and managed to overheat the motor in the pit trying to figure out the elec. system. Luckily the motor seems to have survived but it did require a complete cool down and re-fill/bleed. On the way out I only made it about 30 miles on a full battery charge so it turns out running on the batteries wasn't an option.
    Given the massive effort put into this, we're all pretty disappointed but at this point, all we can do is learn and do better next time.
    The K5 was an impressive machine other than the elec. problems. Definitely a truck capable of running competetive in a 1000 mile race. We had some misadjusted lights that slowed the high speed down and we were still comfortable running 70+ on some relatively rough roads. Good performance overall.
    The first part of the course required several stops, one for a carb adjustment which made it run like a DREAM for the rest of the race, another for a flat, another quick stop to load a new spare, and a couple fuel stops. Then the dead charging system at the end required running with the fog lights only which definitely slows the effort down.
    We had the usual culture shock, in many ways. For me, just getting into socal is a major change, then run into mexico, then back to the states, then I made a stop in Cedar City Utah which was a breath of fresh air, let me tell you.
    The scale of the peninsula is another shocker, we ended up at the bay of LA and it was about a 9 hour drive to get back to the border on roads that might fit one tractor trailer side by side, maybe. Of course this is while dragging a dead 4 door tahoe out after it broke a front coilover shaft on an underrated trailer. Big fun for all. It would have been a long 2 day drive coming back from La Paz.
    Thanks for all the good thoughts.

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

On the Collins/Ragland TT: I figured the drivers were gone since I didn't see anyone around but after things finally wound down I wandered over to the fire and there was this guy propped up in a lawn chair by the fire with his firesuit and helmet on, so I asked who he was. Turns out it was Ragland. So I pulled up a chair and took a nap too. He seems to know how to do this.
    Apparently they lost the trans, rearend, and then seized the motor. ouch.

Some Baja racing advice: never miss an opportunity to eat, drink, sleep or brush your teeth. The first 3 are essential for your health and safety, the last is just really nice to keep up on.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Can't really say you guys lost because just getting to the line and starting is a major accomplishment. Getting hosed by something like an alternator sucks bigtime, but in short, you guys went and survived. You know that the truck is setup balls on and now just need to get that little bit of luck that will ride with y'all for the whole 1000.

This is probably the first year that I really got into following the race while it went down just because of you guys. Here's to surviving and to next year for not only a finish but a win. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can't really say you guys lost because just getting to the line and starting is a major accomplishment. Getting hosed by something like an alternator sucks bigtime, but in short, you guys went and survived. You know that the truck is setup balls on and now just need to get that little bit of luck that will ride with y'all for the whole 1000.

This is probably the first year that I really got into following the race while it went down just because of you guys. Here's to surviving and to next year for not only a finish but a win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I stayed up late that night following the reports and checked early the next morning. I definetly want to go next year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

This is probably the first year that I really got into following the race while it went down just because of you guys. Here's to surviving and to next year for not only a finish but a win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I stayed up late that night following the reports and checked early the next morning. I definetly want to go next year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very seriously considering it. $$$$ probably ain't gonna be there to be a competitor, but I'm sure I can swing a week and do support for someone and who better than a CK5 type person.......

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im gonna try to make it down there next year with the Blazer if its done. Should be a lot of fun.