Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unplanned 1st drive!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Got alot done this weekend and went on my very first drive of my 70 K5! I had my kids and wife jump in for the maiden voyage - my wife wasn't too impressed - she said it was a rust bucket [​IMG] Heck, I told her this K5 is prestine compared to some K5's I've seen!

Anyway, got the new front hard brake lines finished and the system bleed this weekend, got the front axle u-bolts torqued down and got new ends installed for the drag link. Installed the front shocks. Got the rear axle u-bolt plates modified and the u-bolts torqued down.

Still need to bleed the power steering and put the belt on so can drive without fighting the steering. Have new engine wiring harnesses on the way and tested a spare internally regulated alternator that I have - it works! Hopefully the new harnesses will also fix a short I have. Also need to install the front driveshaft and rear shocks.

Friday a buddy was assisting me in cutting threads off of a later model NP205 shifter bolt - we screwed up and cut too much off so he was nice enough to machine me up a completely new bolt with the grease groove. May get the shifter installed tonight. Awesome to have a friend with a lathe and talent. I can now put the transmission hump back on, put the carpet down and reinstall the driver's seat. My buddy helped me make some new brackets for the rear of the seat to raise it up a bit - prior owner had used blocks of wood that were broken and used just one bolt per attachment point.

Need to adjust the clutch rod a bit - have to push in real far to get the clutch to work.

The first drive was exciting and completely unplanned, but with the brakes done I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to drive down the drive and up the road a bit and back. I was expecting it to die at any moment as the battery isn't charging and you know, when you have the family along for the maiden voyage, something surely will happen. Luck for me it went fine.

Stupid me forgot to take any pictures of the K5 outside :doah:

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

My wife says the same thing....."when are you gonna paint it"......oh well

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Can't wait for the pics!

4. 2wdBlazer

2wdBlazer 1/2 ton status

It's exciting isn't it? I havn't touched my 2wd in over a year due to my wife expecting and then having the baby (8 monthes old now). I have no time for truck tinkering anymore since I am the designated baby sitter. My wife is in Medical School so free time = 0 for a few years. It's funny how my big Blazer never breaks down though.

Anyway, back to you, GOOD JOB. Can't wait to see more progress!! Now put some 38's on that flat bed truck!!!

5. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Thats so funny, my wife hates my rigs too. They are noisey, bouncy, rusty, rattley, ugly, stinky, smelly, and any other negative adjective in the english language. But who cares That first ride when all your work is going down the road is very satisfying. congrats.

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

We all have alot in common - I know just what you know about zero free time. I generally don't get to work on my trucks until the kids are in bed and house stuff is done. If it's not too late I try to run out and work for an hour or two, but that is sometimes a rarity.

Had my spare internally regulated alternator checked yesterday and it is good so as soon as my new engine harnesses arrive, I should be able to have a good charging system. I'll cross my fingers that my short goes away with the new wiring harness.