Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unreliable People...Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Sep 25, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I busted ass yesterday to get numerous things done include a rear narrowing project that I didn't really have time for and just sorta crammed in. I called a friend last weekend to see if he could do some welding for me to finish off the multiple projects I was running. His response was sure, no problem, call me Friday to set up a time.

I called him Friday, he said to give him a call Saturday and it could be done Saturday night...and if all else failed, show up at 8 a.m. on Sunday and we'd take care of it then. So I try his phone somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 times on Saturday to no avail. I figure screw it, go play sober taxi until 3 a.m. :doah: and go to bed.

Get up early Sunday, load up (it was storming the night before), and head out. It's a 45 minute drive to his house so I had to haul my sorry arse outta bed early and I'm exhausted. I get there...no sign of life. Nobody in the shop, nobody in the house, nobody answering his cell phone. Wait for an hour...nothing...another hour...nothing. Finally left and headed home to put the truck away for another week and called a different guy on a lark. He said he was with Adam (guy #1) the night before and he was pretty trashed and had no clue who he went home with.

I'm not sayin he shouldn't have gone out and had a good time, but I've been making sure he's had time for two weeks now and not answering his phone and not being home was a huge waste of my time, sleep, and a half tank of diesel. Now I still have welding to be done and I don't trust this guys word. Besides the fact that he's the only one I know that can weld sheet metal well and I've gotta put the wheel tubs back in yet.

I'm sick of dealing with clowns who don't keep their word, I'm gonna pick up a welder next time I go home and try and tap into the skills from H.S. metals and see if I can't get something accomplished.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You'll find very few people in your life who meet your own standards. Best to teach yourself if possible. If not you have to grin and bear it.

Been there, it's extremely frustrating.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Me, too.

I bought a metal building (25X44) oh, back in July I think. Arranged for this fellow to do my concrete. He told me to get the permit and let him know and he'd come by do the footings/slab. Got the permit, called him and waited. Gave his wife (secretary at work) a detailed map to my house and ask her to tell him (again) I'm ready. Waited another couple of weeks. Called him again and he said he'd be by two weeks ago. No show again. This past Thursday I called two other ones and they are both supposed to come by this week. Friday the original guy called and ask if I would be home a couple of hours, he was on his way over. I told him that I already had people coming by and never mind coming by! Shez, six weeks at least I wait and the day after I arrange other another contractor he is on his way.:angry1:

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you tellin me buddy. i have the dis plesure of working with a few every day.

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Find a welder to use and pick up some pieces of scrap metal simuliar to what you want to weld and try it for a little till you get the settings right. It is easier to start on thicker metal if possible. But if you are doing a little sheet metal and do good then the bigger stuff should be easy. I started to say as easy as learning to drive a fork lift but not quite. Maybe one of those standup reach lifts.

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Ya know what they say... If you want something done (right), do it yourself :rolleyes:

It sucks when people bail, with or without the courtesy of a phone call... Happens with me a LOT for some reason, and I turn around and keep every word I make and make sure I am available when I tell someone I am :mad:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

been there..

It really burns my ass when someone makes plans and then never show up!--its happened countless times to me!--part of the reason I get so pissed is because I try NEVER to do that to others!--if I MUST back out of the plan or something comes up,I at least ATTEMPT to CALL them and let them know!..I feel I deserve the same respect..

So many times I've had plans to do something ,like work on something ,that I need another persons help on--and two days later I get a call.."sorry dood,I met this hot chick and got really wasted the other night,,yadda yadda... :angry1: :angry1: --and/or 10 other excuses..those people I vow to NEVER lend a hand ever again!..but if I dont help them,I'm an A##hole!!

Thats why I learned to be as self sufficient as possible--I use winches and engine hoists to move and lift heavy stuff,not another person..they dont want to be paid for helping,and are always there when you need them..I learned to weld for the same reason..I dont like being at someone else's mercy..

Only thing I ask for help with now is when I need a vehicle towed--I usually just call for a ramp truck--I know of one I could borrow,and a car trailer too--but I have been that route,and its no fun when their winch or trailer ,or ramp truck has something go wrong when YOU borrow it!.. :doah: :mad:

Oh yeah--contractors are the worst offenders in my opinion!--when I was building my garage,it took 2 months for the foundation guy to finish it!--set up the forms in 1 day in a few hours--then never came back for 2 weeks!--had to call him about 5 times before he finally came back to pour it--he blamed the cement company--I called them and they said they could have been here in an hour if I had cash!..6 weeks later I had my foundation--had to build the garage in december and january,thanks to the foundation being poured a day before thanksgiving!--I first sealed the deal with the guy in early september! :doah:

Then it took my "friend" the mason 2 weeks to build a chimney for my wood stove--I bought all the blocks and mortar,shoveled all the sand in my truck,drove it home,even mixed it in the wheelbarrow!--for this I had to PAY him to lift the blocks into place,and set them in mortar!--then I find out it drafts poorly,and needs to be 10' higher!--I had to jerry rig stovepipe in the chimmney for 6 months until my "friend" found time to come back and finish the job-- now it was nearly winter,and the mortar almost froze while we were laying the blocks..

Two weeks later,he calls me up--hey,I wanna paint my truck!--and now you have a warm garage--but I need it done tommorrow!.. :surepal: --ya,RIGHT! :rolleyes: :cool: ..then he brings some "awesome firewood"--soggy rotted pine logs left in a swamp 10 years.. :crazy: he's not my "freind" anymore.. :mad:

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Get used to it. Unless you are really tight with the person(s) offering to help, they have no incentive to follow through. I have one very good friend that I can count on, the rest are just people that I know. That does not mean that I don't help others when I can, I just don't expect anything in return when I need help.