Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

unusual 454 header question /problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sean'schevy, Oct 3, 2004.

1. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

heres my problem i got a 454 in my 87 pickup and the header flange that bolt to the block is hitting the lower head bolts. the header i am using are hooker comps from a former 402 BB moter that was in the truck and they worked fine on that application. But when i built the 454 i used new ARP bolts for everything and they are a little bit taller i guess. At first i decided to cut the flange on the headers for where the bolts hit.(i cut a little more than needed). and i ran the headers for a while and they leaked(very annoying) now i am doing a trans swap from auto to manual i want to fix this problem too. Also i have been using good gastues FelPro. I also got a set of copper ones im planning on using when i figure this all out. has anyone got any ideas or even heard of something like this. Oh yea and the gaskets fits fine on the block because its thin it can tuck behind the head of the bolts. but the header hits. i figure i going to get new headers(prob cheap ones). does anyone knwo of a company that sells a header to fit this problem. i called summit but they were no help and i really dont want to take head bolts out and try to find some witha shorter head. if i did that i have to retork entire head too which is a pain. help!!! thanks /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'd talk to ARP find out if you can thin the bolt head and clearance the header also. Doing a combination of both. Don't know why you couldn't remove some material from the head. If the factory head bolts were shorter and ARP uses a better grade material, well I'd clearance both but that's me.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you say "402" are you talking about a 396 bored .30 over? The heads from a 396 and a 454 are (I am pretty sure) different. The headers from a 396 I do not think will work on a 454.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

No a 396 head will bolt onto a 454 block i am 99% sure. Friend actually had a set would sell me for 75 bucks for my 496 build, but they were closed chamber and woulda made my compression like 13:1.

Are you sure one of the pieces (block or heads) aint off a tall deck motor? That could be screwin you up. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I believe the heads on my 454 actually came off a 396.It bumped my compression to around 9.5.They are the closed chamber oval port heads. I have hedman 454 headers with no problems yet except they were coated and now some parts of it are flaking /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Some place down in florida did the coating.