Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unusual ? about installing gears!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Dec 28, 2001.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Ok Gear Instalation GuRu's, This is weird. I bout 2 sets of 4.56 gears from National Drivetrain as well as an Eaton Posi for the rear, and both install kits. i am haveing these gears professionaly installed, and even the shop guy has never seen anything like this in like 15 years. My rear went togeather perfectly. However, my front pinnion gear will not set to the riht depth. Usualy, they have to use shims to bring it out slightly to track corectly. However, im my case, with no shims, it is out to far. The guy doing the work says if he installs it that way, when i put it in 4 wheel, it will chew up my gears in the front. He Originally thought it was just that the one pinion was not machined all the way, so he took the gear set out of the rear, and tryed it in the front and it had the same problem, so it is not Gears themselves. He spoke with National Drivetrains Tech, and his solution was to put a Twenty Five Thousandths shim in and force it togeather. He even said that he rarely ever measures when he is building a rear. What kinda technical advice is that. The company is stupid. If i had known that ahead of time, i never would have used them. I would have spent the extra and gone with Randys Ring & Pinion. Has anyone ever come into such a problem before. Please help. My truck has been in the shop for three weeks now. Just to swap gears. Any help is appreciated, and one final note, Never Ever buy anything from National Drivetrain again.
    Thanks
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That doesn't sound right to me. The guy sure the bearing race is all the way in? When I did mine I accidently put a couple dimples in the housing when I was driving out the old races and they didn't allow the race to fully seat. Took a while to figure out what had happend. Drove the race back out and cleaned up the lip where I dimpled it and that fixed the problem. Also try a different set of pinion bearings. Maybe they are machined wrong.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To install my yukon gears (from Randy's), I did not have to use any shims in the rear and got a perfect pattern. The only thing I can think of is with that high a gearset if there is a carrier break and you do not have the correct carrier, or if it was supposed to be a thick ring gear (to make up for a carrier break) but was the regular thickness, when you set them up, it will show it as the pinion needing to be moved closer to the centerline (which at a certain point is impossible once all the shims are already removed). Not sure if that is it, but from the gear installs I have done, that is my best guess.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if the rear set worked ok in the rear, then showed the same problem in the front it must not be a defect in the gears, either the race isn't seated all way in, it's a bearing problem,( did he use the same bearings when he tried the rear gears up front?)or it's a problem with the housing. if you can't find any bearing related problems, It sounds like a lot of work but the cheapest way out may be to find a used housing and put the new gears in it, then put it in the truck. if you have your housing machined you will probably have to remove it anyway, and the machine work will cost more than a bare housing.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>

5. 86blazerk5

Well, Thanks for your imputs you guys, I appreciate it. I dont have the answer being that it is saturday, and the shop isnt open. On monday, I will sugest these things the Mike ( the guy doing the work for me) however, I would imagine he has already checked these things, after all he is a profesional who does this stuff everday. But he may be making a simple mistake becuasre he dosnt do 4X4s that often, he works more with race cars and 2 wheel drive trucks so his front axle experiance may be somewhat limited. I dont think i do have the corect carrier, becuase i was told the break is at around 3.90, and i'm going from 3.90 to 4.56, however, Mike said that that dosnt have anything to do with the Pinion bearings setting, and that if my carier dosnt work, that we will cross that bridge when we get there. but that still seems like a potential problem to me. The bearing race thing seems possible as well. Who knows, but its not the gears for sure, and i doubt its the housing. So who knows... I just hope we solve it soon. I miss my baby.
    Thanks again, all.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'm with the mechanic, a wrong carrier will affect the lash setting, not the pinion depth. as for front rears being different than rear ones, they're not on this type of truck, uses all the same parts and procedures as for setting the gears. let us know what you find.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I know this may sound basic, but why not measure the depth of the new pinion vs. the old pinion with a set of calipers. If the gear itself is the same size and the ring gears are the same diameter, then it is something with the installation. If one came out and they are the same size, the other should go in.

One other thought would be to call Randy's. Sure, you didn't buy your stuff there, but they may be willing to help anyway (future business thing). Wouldn't hurt to try!

Best of luck!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

i gotta agree with grim. I have been doin gears for 15 + years and NEVER had one out to far!! It sounds like either the bearing or race are not on all the way.

you're right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

i gotta agree with grim. I have been doin gears for 15 + years and NEVER had one out to far!! It sounds like either the bearing or race are not on all the way.

you're right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. 86blazerk5

Well guys, hears where we are so far. I spoke Mike today (the guy doing the work), and what we have decided to do is order a new set of bearings for it. Its not the gears becuase they fit in the rear. It is verry unlikely to be the housing. That leaves the bearing race which he said looks good, and the bearing itself. Now my thought is that they may have thrown in the wrong size bearings becuase the install kits didnt even have the right size shims in it. Who knows, its posible. Unfortunitaly, the holidays are slowing things down a little as well, so we wont know our answer for a few days yet. But thats what we are trying next. I have thought about calling Randys, I'm sure they would be glad to help, and i will deal with them in the future, National Drivetrain has been a diaster. Thanks for all your sugestions. I hope to let you guys know what the real problem was in a few days. Later,
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!