Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unusual np205 leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Oct 26, 2000.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I have just discovered what I think is an unusual problem. The np205 that I recently swapped into my 78 is sending gear oil up through the speedometer cable. It is not leaking much at the transfer case end, but the top end of the cable is leaking gear oil (this is a mess!). I am using the cable adapter off of the np203 to attach the cable to the transfer case. Is there some sort of seal internal to the transfer case that prevents gear oil from reaching the speedometer cable or is this only sealed externally at the cable adapter? Any suggestions?

FYI: I did have the transfer case completely resealed by Standard Transmission & Gear in Ft.Worth before installing it, but it seems to be leaking somewhat from almost every place that has a gasket.

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Do you have the breather hose hooked up? Also, is the case overfilled?

ken

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Had this problem way abck and found out that some 205s do not have any type of seal to kkep this from happening. I replaced the retainer with a new one from GM that had a seal in and the problem stop. So you couls have the one with out the seal or the seal could be bad and yes the case couls be over full but it would have to be way over and the vent could be pluged.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

4. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

Had same problem, need new speedo assembly, seems to have a tapered fit when adapter or cable tightened on unit that bolts on t-case. Old cables or those gear reducers(that little box that you bolt on the t-case)don't seem to seal right after they are overtightened or even taken on off after years of who knows what service under the truck.
    Hope this helps. Flipper

5. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

Ken,

I pulled my speedometer cable and gear reduction box off and did not find any type of seal. You said that you replaced the retainer with a new one from GM. Which part are you calling the retainer? Is this the gear reduction box or the fitting that screws into the transfer case? Do you remember what you asked for at the dealership?

Darrin