Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

unusualfrmae crakk???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NCblackandredk5, Aug 1, 2002.

1. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

the other day i was lwering my t-case ad wheni lowered thex-member to put the spacers in a chunk of my frame came down with it- the area around the bolt holes... i welded a piece of 1/4 steel to repair it... anyone else know wha /forums/images/icons/confused.gif t cuses this???

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if the bolts were loose the transfer would have been tweeking on the frame when ever you got on it.

3. NCblackandredk5

well here's the deal... the bolts were tight and this happened on the right side of the frame, not the left, so i dont think it was from engine torque... do you think it could be from flexing??? my truck has pretty good flex and i had it out about a week ago.... just noticed it now though, not sure how long its been that way... any ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if your frame gets really tweeked,such as up on three wheels and still going farther than that it puts a lot of stress on every crossmember along the frame.the crossmembers are twisting every time one end is up higher than the other.like doing a lot of rockcrawling would probably do this becaude the frame is getting twisted on every rock.and to add to this it is being twisted by the torqe of the engine and drivetrain spinning.i would say that was probably your problem.your frame has been twisted so much the stress between the crossmember pulling on either side of the frame finally cracked it.i would say get a thicker brace than the stock frame and also check the rest of your crossmembers where they attach to the frame.

5. NCblackandredk5

that makes sense... i did get pretty twisted up that day showing up all the tj's i was wheeling with... they were pretty darn impressed when i flexed on a 4 foot rock and only lifted the right rear about 6 inches... didn't even think about that...ill check the rest though... thanks /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif