Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE**10-bolt pinion seal leak...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Jun 4, 2001.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

It's leaking pretty good (BAD), and needs replacement. I searched this topic, and there's lots of conflicting info. Is this a job I can do at home, or should I spend money I don't have and let someone else (who may not do it right...) do it? Seems easy enough, but the stuff about pinion depth and bearing preload kinda worries me. So, what should I do?

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jarheadsk5.coloradok5.com>http://www.jarheadsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Re: 10-bolt pinion seal leak...

If its just the pinion seal. All you have to do is mark the nut and the yoke with a white line to make an alignment mark. Also may want to count the threads. then remove the nut holding the yoke on, then proceed to removing the seal. Grease the seal and outer edge of the new one. Tap it back in there. Then take the nut and add lock-tight then tighten it back down till you have the same number of threads and the alignment marks match. But if you want to know the truth. If you take a regual 1/2 ratchet, about 12 to 18 inches long and tighten that SOD as tight as you can and you should be just fine.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It's easy to do. Take the bolt off, Mark the spline/yoke position. remove seal and install new one. You should NOT tighten the #$$##@%$ out of the bolt though. Although it has a torque of 180-220#, it can be over tightened and damage the pinion bearing. There is a collor that is "crushed" to obtain the proper bearing preload. If over tightened, the pinion bearings will fail. when you reinstall nut, with locktight, Tighten until heavy resistance is felt and torque nut. You should also apply a sealant to the splines on the yoke. They are known for seeping fluid through the yoke.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

You backyard mechanic's and opinion repeaters crack me up!
    Yes you should be consended about bearing preload, if you what a good long lasting repair.
    Hint: pinion bearing preload is measured in lbs./in. and it is a rotating torque, not stanationary as you
    are most likly used tooooooooooooooooooooo.
    Good luck

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think I'm gonna try this. I may have a line on a 12-bolt to re-do and swap in, so if I do happen to speed the demise of the pinion bearing, oh well. Anyone know offhand what size the pinion yoke nut is??

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jarheadsk5.coloradok5.com>http://www.jarheadsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

FTN96

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Pay no mind to Executioners degrading comments. You'll be wating you kentic energy.

If you have a corp. 10 bolt fron or rear which ever, they are the same....... If you take a standard length 1/2 ratchet adn tighten the F'ing nut down as tight as you can possibly tighten it without using air or extra length breaker bar, you will NOT be able to crush that preload crush sleeve any more that it already is.
    The nut size is 1 1/4 or 1 5/16's to the best of my knowledge. When I rebuilt mine......and Executioner, this shade tree mech hasnt had any problems out of my R&P rebuild, .......
    The old rear nut was 1 1/4 but the new nut for the rebuild kit was 1 5/16.... But when I rebuilt the front the new nut was the same size. But it should be one of those 2.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Mark the pinion stem, nut and yoke (just becaue it there) then remove it. You should not tap the yoke off from the back side doing so may damage the pinion bearings and pinion stem, use a gear puller. Use clean wheel bearing grease on the lip of the seal and some on the back side of the seal to keep the tensioner spring in place and lightly tap the new seal in place. Inspect the yoke for grooves worn into it by the seal, replace the yoke if you can hang a finger nail in the groove, otherwize clean the sealing surface of the yoke with red scotch-brite. Seal the inside of the splines on the yoke with some kind of sealent (like pipe thread past, or GMS). Put a thread locker to the nut. Reinstall te yoke, and nut. Tighten the nut until resistence increases (be very carfull!) It would probably be a good idea to count the threads if your doing it be hand. Check your marks and alighn the marks up as needed.
    Lineing up the marks is a guarantee that you reinstall the assembly in exactly the same posistion.

-Pinon bearig preload is measured in "in/lbs" with the case removed.
    -You may also want to drain the gear lube from the diff, because when you remove the seal, the fluid will poor out. Not a big deal, but it kinda sucks trying to work around the gear lube pooring out of the diff
    - G.M. recomends that you only retorque the pinion nut twice, then install a new crush sleave on the third. (FYI)
    - I've done it this way for years and have never had a problem. I have the rear axle in the air and use a 1/2 impact. Never tried to do it with out air. I think, you should have the rear end lifted off the ground to prevent damage to the ring and pinion and use a large pair of chanel locks to hold the yoke in place. Use a large breaker bar to turn the nut. But, like I said, I've never done it by hand.
    - Spin the assembly by hand, before and after, to compare and piece of mind.

Twiztid

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

(Twiztid) DITTO

10. Executioner

-Pinon bearig preload is measured in "in/lbs" with the case removed.
    This is most certianly correct, and a FACT.
    It may also be possible to measure the pre-load with the axles installed but no tire/wheels
    say in comes out to 35 lbs./in. now you can replace the seal, and tighten the nut to give
    say 35 lbs./in.

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You normally dont check the pre-load with the axles installed. Only the pinion by itself!!!!!

And where are you getting 35 in lbs? On 10 bolts, with NEW bearings its only 20 and with old bearings its 15.
    What? Did you add 15 and 20 together?
    And for a "FACT" 15 and 20 does = 35.

12. Executioner

LOL yup simple math 15 = 20 + 35
    Go whach that video again, maybe in slow motion.
    You missed my piont, sorry maybe next time.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Take the driveshaft off and see if you can tighten the nut first. I have seen two of the yokes start leaking (my own trucks as a matter of fact) only to find that it was the nut that had backed off, and had allowed the yoke to ruin the seal. Took the nut and yoke off, cleaned everything up, replaced the seal (use grease on the seal or beware) and bolted the yoke back on, using locktight on the nut. In both instances I used a 12" breaker bar and tightened it as tight as possible with the bar, even using my foot. Neither has leaked, or come apart, after thousands of miles. The nut is either 1 1/16, 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 I believe. As little as you need sockets that large (but guaranteed you will need them for SOMETHING somewhere down the road) I just bough the cheapies at a local auto parts store. Strong enough for occassional use, but cheap enough to justify buying all three sizes.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

dyeager535;

You never stop to amaze me! YOU ARE ONE SHARP DUDE!

To everyone else;

Do what dyeager535 says! He is the man!

Twiztid

15. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yes, Twiztid. I too am starting to notice this. But dont keep inflaming his ego. (If he truely has one)[​IMG]

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the confidence boost, folks. I'm gonna tackle this one myself. The money I save from not having it done for me is going to Steve, to help pay for this very resource that gave me the confidence and the info to do this job!

I take most of what Executioner says with a grain of salt already. If you can read his stuff through, there is the occasional nugget of good info...

17. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

jarheadk5:

I just got home and noticed a leak under my rig. No biggie...I got a rear main leak...but wait...this is from the rear end!! Now I got to explain to my parents why there is a gob of gear oil on the ground!!!
    Tell me how yours went!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:
    Pep Girls in my area doesn't carry this seal. Called NAPA, they want to know whether the ring gear is 8.5" or 8.75". I think it's 8.75". Anyone know for sure??

19. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

10-bolt = 8.5 ring
    12-bolt= 8.875 ring

Twiztid

There are more options in "10" bolts, 8.5, 7.5 etc. Counting the bum cover bolts is -not the correct way to identifie a diff-, Ring gear dia and manufature is. Counting the bolts is just the easy way. Most parts stores and people don't know or care how meny bolts are on the cove. -FYI-

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are getting raked over the coals on this one, you *might* check with Napa and see if the 7.5" rear out of an S10 Blazer of say 1985 has the same part # seal as your truck with the 8.5" (that would be the "10 bolt" as people call them) I believe it does, and it appears the yokes are the same size. Heck, all the cars from about 1978-1988 RWD with 7.5" rear axles should use the same seal as well. Never trust the computer. : ) As well, your 8.5" truck seal is exactly the same as one for a 1984 Oldsmobile Hurst Olds, 1984-87 Buick Grand National, and 1985-1987 Oldsmobile 442, if Pep Girls lists those. Not that its really worth the hassle when Napa has the right ones listed, but its just what I have floating around in my head, and i know Napa can be expensive on some stuff, if you are really worried about price.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen