Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

***UPDATE 9/11/04***AZ Guys --- Carvan details to BB04

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by or2play, Aug 9, 2004.

1. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Okay guys, just found out today I'm not deploying in October. So I'm going to Moab. Trying to start the planning so the guys at work that are coming with me can start planning. I need a find a trailer that I can use to pull my suburban. This is my biggest problem. If I can't find one we are still going to BB. Just will have to find an empty seat somewere.

I figure leave out of Yuma/PDX area on Wednesday the 29th, stay overnight in Flagstaff again and launch out of their early morning and arrive in Moab mid afternoon on Thusday the 30th. What does everybody think. Lets get the wheels turning.

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Re: AZ Guys --- Carvan details to BB04

Brian,

It funny you post this up, Marv and I just had lunch today and discussed the same things.

We came up with the same idea, we are talking about leaving the Valley on Wednesday night, crashing in Flagstaff, Wednesday night, then heading up to Moab on Thursday morning early.

Sounds good to me, glad you are going to head up again this year, it will be fun again.

Rob

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Make this one sticky too dude /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Would it be possible for us to leave earlier than Wed /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It would be good to see you again Brian. If you need a seat, let me know, I'll be solo as it stands right now.

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Cool man, Thanks. It sucks being stuck down here in Yuma, I never get to get out and wheel with ya'll. But since I'm gonna be here to January now,(rumored anyways) I should be able to start making trips up to Phoenix. There are two guys in my shop that want to come. One will be driving the truck towing my burban (if I find a trailer). Issue with us is getting all of us leave at once.

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

On a side note buds...

I might need a seat also this year...with a single income i just can't squeeze enough coin out to finish the repairs/up grades on the 79 by then...so i might just chalet it so i bring a K5...and ride with one of my old buds...hint...hint...

DW

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Ya know you always have a seat in my rig, if one's available /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Thanx fred....that part you want is in the back yard....as confirmed by the phone call....do you want the rods also?

DW

8. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

I plan on driving up but might not bring my rig.
    I may need a seat for the runs. i gust want to go and have fun. We will see.

Andrew

9. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

BTW, who is camping? I am going be. Wondering who else. And were. Slickrock again? Some other were talking about camping there again. Gotta figure out were its gonna be. Need an address and phone number for my leave papers.

10. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Where are ya'll staying in flag on wed? Cheap hotel? How do you underline the word "cheap"! OR just a sleeping bag in some grass somewhere?

how much does camping run in moab? Should I reserve a spot?

11. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I think the majority of people will be camping at slickrock again. Slickrock campground

12. therobzilla

OK,

It's time to update some items regarding MOAB.

1. Brian, I'm not stealing this post, just making it the official Caravan UPDATE.

2. Need to remind everyone of some of the things to remember, maybe someone can find one of the old post from last year and link to it.

3. Remember, the trip to Moab is a very long on, we usually spend the night in Flagstaff on Wednesday night and head out first thing on Thursday morning and arrive in Moab on Thursday afternoon around 4/5 ish.

4. For all those towing from the valley, the leg from Phoenix to Flagstaff is a torturous one. The last hill into Flagstaff will test any tow rig. Be prepared for a slow trip up the hill.

5. Some basic rules for all going up, make sure you have a CB in your tow rig, it makes for easy communications on the road. Make sure you CB antenna is tuned, meaning make sure it works. Make sure if you are towing up, your tow rig is ready, you have a spare, you have a jack to pick up the trailer with. Make sure you have checked out your trailer brakes and they work and are adjusted correctly. Make sure you have checked you controllers and it works and has been adjusted. The downhills are hard on trailer brakes.

Tow Rig: Go over you tow rig, oil, antifreeze, trans fluid, rear end fluid, etc.... Spare tires for tow rig...

Tow Rig CB RADIO; oh did I already say this!!! We use ch 10.

Other things to consider:

At the risk of pissing someone off, I'm still going to say this, because it needs to be posted for all to read. Love it or leave it, read and think about what I am going to say.

The trip to Moab is a long on, it's hard on tow rigs, and it's hard on the wallet. It's harder on a blazer that you are going to wheel and then drive home. The motto of the AZ guys has always been no one gets left behind and we all believe in this. But remember, it's one thing to have something breakdown out of a fluke, it another thing to breakdown because it was not maintained or should not have been on a long trip to begin with. Make sure that you; your rig, and your wallet are prepared to make this trip. It's one thing to help each other out, but it's another thing to not be prepared for a long trip like this. Make sure your stuff is ready. No one will be left behind, but if something happens because you did not prepare correctly, and it ends up holding up the whole group, well you can put it together. I'm not saying everything has to be perfect, but just put yourself in someone elses shoes. I'm not the keeper of the Holy Grail, but be prepared for the worst. Make sure that you have the financial wherewithal to resolve the problem if needed. I'm not trying to scare anyone off, but as an example, two years ago; I blew 3 tires on the trailer and had to purchase them in MOAB, not cheap.

Other things to remember. Most of us carry spare parts, and are more than willing to let others use them, no problem. Make sure you have spare parts for your weakest link when doing this trip, if you plan on wheeling the hard stuff. Loaning a ball joint is one thing, but loaning a drive shaft is a totally different thing. If you are driving your wheeling rig to Moab, and plan on wheeling the hard stuff, then driving it home, think real hard on what trails you are going to hit in Moab. Two years ago, we had a bunch of AZ guys break drive shafts, driving home on Front Wheel Drive, with a locker, all the way back to AZ, because the broke rear drive shafts.

The other thing, the keep in mind, is be punctual, on Thursday morning, we are leaving Flagstaff bright and early. If you get into Flagstaff late Wednesday night its no problem, but don't be late Thrusday morning.

I'm only posting this because it needs to be posted. We go thru this every year, and it's time to post it again.

Overall, hopefully we won't have too many problems this year, but more than likely, there will be some things going wrong.

This is a great trip to take, and we will have a blast, it's going to be a lot of fun. Just consider what I have posted, or hell don't consider what I posted, it's up to you.

One thing is for certain; fun is going to be had this year in Moab!!!!!!

LAST THING: EVERYONE THAT IS GOING NEEDS TO POST UP CONFIRMING THAT YOU ARE GOING AND IF YOU ARE GOING UP WITH, THE AMIGO GROUP.

Thanks guys.
    Rob

13. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Can't make it this year, work conflicts, hoping for next year. Take lots of pics and have a great time.

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Rob, great post

Honestly I was wanting to go,but I cant truthfully say I can meet all of the perimiters. I want to go but the tow rig in mind has a rear end that is very questionable.

I will just have to wait for a Las crusis "sp?" or Farmigton to test my luck with towing.

Also, I have a big aray of parts if anyone would like to borrow spares in case you dont have them.

tie rods, axel shafts, bunch of drive shafts, starters, ect..

good luck to you guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. therobzilla

Shawn,

That's great that you are willing to loan thoes that need parts; parts.

I will make sure it stays on top for all to review.

Rob

16. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not the keeper of the Holy Grail

[/ QUOTE ]

You're NOT???? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Here I thought you had it the whole time. Maybe Marv's got it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'm scrambling to get my junk together by Wednesday night before BBO4.
    Still have to finish the cage... get my fuel cell installed, mount spare, mount hilift, find a loaner flatbed trailer, and if I don't find a trailer mount rear fenders. I will meet up with you guys on Wed. night or Thurs. morn. Time and place? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. FWP

FWP CRS

Somewhere in Flag. Do you want to leave PV together? I'll probably head out Wed afternoonish, early evening.

If you need some help, get the blazer over to my place. Today is my last day at work until I get back from Moab. So I'll be out in the garage bootying for the next week.

19. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

You, my friend...
    are the man.
    I don't have a phone until Thursday but I will definitely stop by... I'll call first though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

AAAAAARGHHHH!
    Stupid Qwest couldn't find my house so no phone until probably Tuesday!

I saw the fuel cell today... it looks good but it still needs welding. Sender looks good, sump looks really good, no more foam or slosh because the baffles should limit most.
    No fenderskins on this trip I guess, I'm trying to get the cage tied into the back of the frame.
    I should have my crap together ASAP. Fred, I don't have a phone let me know when a good your available for me to stop by your pad tomorrow.