Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

***UPDATE Axle Is In***

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by pauly383, Oct 15, 2006.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

UPDATE IN MY LAST REPLY AT BOTTOM OF THREAD

Well after the Moab trip , I have repaired and upgraded my axles . Still half ton , just gonna watch the throttle . air down more , and ask for a strap if I can't "bump" it on the first two tries . So anyway I have a front locker , 4.56 gears , and the other covers Harley made me :pimp:

BTW , run Redline gear oil , I doubt I would of made it home in one piece without it , it just clung to everything and I had more than a half full diff . Gonna have to have someone weld my new old housing before it twists . And I also have to look into some kind of anti-wrap chingas .... I can't believe my little 305 can spin them 35's with highway gears !!

So the final tally is one CV shaft , one 12 bolt housing , and almost every ring gear tooth on the front diff . Not bragging , just posting up for the guys who missed this year :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

YOU????:haha: watch the throttle????:haha: so you're gonna start trying to IDLE through everything???:haha:

:p: :D :wink1:

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Holy cow! You didn't learn from my mishap last year? :wink1: I'm just glad that you were able to get home okay. At least you have proof that you had fun. :D

You'll love the 4.56 gears!

4. pauly383

Look at pic 3 , I already loved them for my nooner :wink1:

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah that was kinda scary. I just quickly scrolled past that one! :yikes:

:haha:

6. pauly383

Its like catching a fish , kiss it for good luck before ya put it back !! My wife thought it was gross , but she never understood about cars and trucks anyway !!

7. pauly383

Well the axle is in tonight , did a quick test drive , and do not even realize its a 305 at all anymore . Just ****in moves when I apply throttle . Now I am back to needing the CV shaft fixed since I can't take the vibes , especially when I need to hear the gears for break in .

The most awesome thing is even with the locker , the noise when intially putting in gear is all but gone . And no longer do I shift as hard , as I don't need to lay into it to move the truck ( TV cable pulled less ) :D:D:D

Need some more Redline to top it off its a little low once the tubes filled , and think I need to drive to get it..... Sent Michelle Saturday , she got to Lopers late and they closed , and some a$$hat hit and ran our Impala on her way back from Lopers empty handed :mad::mad::mad::mad:

8. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

Gears make all the difference in the world! Sounds like a job well done:D

9. pauly383

Just gotta do the front tommorrow , which isn't a priority , and fix the CV so I can just drive it again with no cares in the world :thumb:

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Desert Rat usually carries the Redline stuff too.

Harley

11. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

hahaha:haha:

12. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Looks like that front 10b didn't have the pinion depth set properly. It was running in the toe of the ring gear, and the ring finally gave out... :doah:

13. pauly383

Yes and know , it had a lot to do with the ring gear and pinion gear not seeing eye to eye ....................................the main cap bolts were finger loose to already backing out :yikes:

I never set the 10 bolt 3.73 axle up , or touched , just bought and installed it . It has however been down many a trail under a 'Burb . And the P/O to my knowledge ( and good guy ) had never had it apart aside from changing oil .

17 year old factory defect ???

14. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Perhaps. If the cap bolts were that loose then the carrier was probably being forced away from the pinion, causing the failure. Strange that it lasted so long though, but then again I have seen stranger things :D

BTW, remember that 10b housing I got from you a while back for my buddy's project? Well, look at what he has done to it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yup, what we have here is a 10 bolt full floater :waytogo: :D

15. pauly383

WOW ........ drooling :bow: I would love that for a 12 bolt , with the housing trussed . How much and what length are the axles going to be ?

Post this up in the garage :deal:

16. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

We haven't measured the length needed for the axles yet, but I can tell you the cost - $350 shipped from Superior. That is for a pair of 1.312" diameter 4340 shafts with 30 splines on both ends. The inner end are GM splines obviously, while the outer ends will have 30 degree pressure angle Dana 44 type splines. This is because the only readily available 30 spline drive flanges (from Warn) have Dana splines cut in them. Also, keep in mind that the drive flanges ain't cheap to the tune of $240 or so :eek: