Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE.........Brake line disaster...need advice....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Okiemuddog, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Well, the disasters start........ I went to install my Procomp brake lines. They all went on well, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but once I put pressure to them the one on my front passener side blows a steady stream of fluid out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have new calipers and banjo bolts. I did notice that on the inside edge of the block where the banjo bolt runs through and meets the caliper back there is a small nick in the metal, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I thought about trying to sand it out but am afraid of really screwing up the line. Anyone have any suggestions or a spare block end from a line that has been broke or tossed?

My other question is will a stock line reach with my 4" lift or am I pushing my luck and risking snapping a line? I just hate to have to pay another $100 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif for 3 brake lines when I only need one.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Brake line disaster...need advice....and a question answered

you can sand it down it will be fine also did you put the little washers on the banjo bolts?

3. Okiemuddog

Okay I am going to have to show my ignorance /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.... What washers, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just bought new banjo bolts and no washers with them. Where do the washers sit? I assume between the block and the head of the banjo bolt.This could be part of the problem, my ride didn't have any lines on it or banjo bolts so I am kind of doing this by memory and that can lead to major disasters. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

When I bought my procomp brake lines they came with aluminum washers (everything else I have delt with was copper?). you put them on either side of the banjo fitting. They are soft and when they smash down are what makes the seal. The order goes:
    bolt, washer, banjo fitting, washer, caliper.

If your brake lines didn't come with the lines just go to the parts store and get the copper ones.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> FYI, they're called crushwashers, and you just found out what happens when you don't put them on. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You need 2 for each side of the truck, put one on either side of the banjo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

6. Okiemuddog

Thanks to everyone for the help. It is a miracle, if you put things back together like they came apart it fixes them. I put new crush washers on today and the leak disappeared. I can merit the $25 to become a member, you guys saved me the $100 to buy a new brake lines. I will be going orange next week. WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again guys.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif glad you got it fixed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Seeing as you are now a member, I'd like to offer you an invite to the Midwest K5 Thing Forum at the bottom of the main forum page. There are quite a few people within a pretty short distance from you. I would say get in there and introduce yourself! I'd be happy to have another truck on some of our runs this summer!

See you there, and welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Congrats on the fix, and thanks for using the money saved to help support this site we all call home!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene