Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE!! Carrier Cross-Pin Stuck in 10B

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, May 20, 2003.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

See post at end for update!

Ok, ok, I know its a 10-bolt but I am trying to keep weight down and I dont rockcrawl.

So...

I have a 10 bolt rear axle where I cannot remove the crosspin that holds the spiders together in an open carrier. I have removed the small bolt and can move the pin just a little in each direction with a brass drift and hammer. (This pin normally almost falls out) It seems like its stuck on the spiders..

I would at least like to salvage the gears and axleshafts from the axle. But without removing that pin nothing can come out.

My thought was to drive that pin out but it will hit the bottom of the case before I can get the c-clips off. Should I just punch a hole in the bottom of the case to get that pin out?

Any thought or suggestions are appreciated. And yes a 14-bolt would be stronger, I know /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Carrier Cross-Pin Stuck in 10B

Dumb question: are you sure the center pin bolt was complete? Any chance some of it is broke off and still in there?

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Yes. I got it all out. I can move the pin some and drive it down past the bolt hole. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Try pulling your axles out a little. Pull the drums off, and pull on the axles. Sometimes the axles get bound up on the pin and wont allow it to come out. Axles have about a 1/8" of play with everything hooked up.

Dan
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Sometimes the cross pin gets galled up really bad around the area the spiders ride. If you can get it to stick out just enough to roll the carrier toward you and then you can get a set of plyers on it and "rock" it out.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Tried that. I am at the point now where its really stuck. Pliers just turn the spider... Can't wedge anything in there to hold it to turn it. Believe me this thing is stuck in there good.

I smacked it with a 10lb sledge and drift numerous (like 100) times and got it to move to the point where it would get stuck on the case itself if I went any further. I had to smack the hell outta it to make it move. Something's got to be FUBAR.

So I guess the hole in the case may be my best option if I cant figure something else out.

Thanks for the input
    John

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

The axles aren't touching, I made sure of that. You know that would be too easy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is this a gov-lock axle?

I haven't *had* to take one apart before, but I've messed with a couple of them, and two of them would NOT let the pinion shaft come out. Not sure why, like I said I didn't *have* to figure out why, but it wouldn't.

My first thought was also that the little bolt sheared off right after the threads leaving the unthreaded section behind as well, but I've broken a carrier trying to remove the pinion by shearing that little bolt with a hammer and punch, and it didn't move but an 1/8", sounds like you are beyond that point a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Not a gov loc, just an open carrier..

Yes, I think I am way beyond that point /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Didn't get to work on it last night, so maybe tonight I'll give it one more try before I start breaking things more. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

10. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Cut the middle out of the pin and drive the ends out toward the center.

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Tried that. Took the teeth off of two HD sawzall blades. It didn't even make a mark in the pin. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif It just laughed at me... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

12. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The only thing I can think of left to do is drive the pin thru as far as you can, rotate the carrier where the pin is sticking thru to the outside and get something like a metal cutting wheel on a grinder and cut it off. Then rotate the carrier back around and drive more of it thru and repeat the process until you can get the axles pushed in enough to release the C clips. Then you can yank the carrier and work on the rest of the pin.

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Good idea! I think I'll pick up a couple cutting wheels on the way home.

Thanks
    John

14. dyeager535

Be sure to let us know if the pinion shaft is "cuttable". I remember my friend trying to drill one out of a 12 bolt, he spent hours at it, got about 1/2" of it drilled out and must have gone through 20 bits lol.

My suggestion is to use a cutoff wheel or whatever, and cut the case on either side of the pinion shaft. I did that to cut that little bolt in half, and it was quite easy, since the carrier is very soft. I imagine if you cut the surrounding case metal from the pin, it will fall right out.

15. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Well the cut off wheel in the 4" angle grinder cut it off. Actually I had to cut it 3 times to get it all out. After removing the teeth from 2 sawzall blades, I was skeptical, but this wheel was amazing. Cut through like hot butter.

Just though people would like to know they can be cut.

John

16. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. dyeager535

Could you see why it was stuck after you pulled it apart?

18. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

The spiders and the pin were really torn up. It was like the spiders had a ridge in them, not letting the pin move freely.

John

19. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The spiders and the pin were really torn up. It was like the spiders had a ridge in them, not letting the pin move freely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen that alot. That is what happens when doing the ole one wheel peel. It can get so bad with bad/low fluid the spiders will sieze to the pin and then break.

Or, the spiders will stick to the shaft just long enough to shear of the lock bolt and then the shaft will come out and hit the pinion as it goes around, been there. Not fun at 60mph /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif.