Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*Update* D60 King pin spring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Jul 3, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Working on rebuilding a 60 and it looks like the upper springs are bent??

Does anybody have any new ones that they can put a caliper on and give me the unloaded spring length?

2. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

Re: D60 King pin spring

I got a dana 60 king pin rebuild kit if you want it. It's brand new.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Fred, I just checked a brand new one and it measures 2.150"

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Bill /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . Mine measure from 2.150 to 2.250, depending on which part of the spring you measure it on. If I stand the springs on end, it looks like they tilt to one side. The flat side of the springs aren't parallel. I wonder if that's normal /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Fred, I don't have any bare springs laying around, so can't help you here. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

BTW, could you take some pics and post them up of the brackets that Dan fabbed/welded to the D60 knuckles to show everybody how he did this to make the D44/10 bolt calipers work? I wanna see some pics of this again, but not the pics Dan took. I wanna see some good pics of the whole bearing hub, knuckle, etc. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the nylon cone has an indent that the springs tail sits in leveling it out IIRC

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Sure, I can do that. Give me a week or so. I thought about doing some kind of write up, but since I didn't actually do the work, I thought it would be cheating. The rotors are 3/4 ton rotors, not 1/2 ton. The D60 backing plate has the 3/8 thick tabs welded on (pro welding job BTW, not hacked), and the knuckles are untouched, as are the hubs. I don't have a digi cam, just a scanner, so the pics may not be the best quality.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

The model I have (79) uses a spring retainer that seats between the spring and bushing. The bushing is flat and the retainer is flat, except in the center, to locate the spring....

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Whether you did the work or not, the info could be usefull. I say write it up if you have time and the urge...

I don't have the retainer, but the bushing is also flat. I don't recall the spring having any bend to it at all, just sat flat, IIRC. Also, on the Avalanche arms, there is a flat aluminum spacer that sets on the bushing, spring on the spacer, and then the cap.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you are correct i misspoke
    when i was mocking it up last time I had forgotten the sheet metal that protects the nylon from the spring and that was what i was recalling /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Interesting discovery, Just measured 2 brand new GM springs, right out of the package. 2.282-2.287, all the way around on the flats. The springs are straight also. Thats .030-.050" longer than my definitely worn out ones.

One possible death wobble cure???

12. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Fred, The measurement that I gave you earlier in the post was also a brand new one that I actually tore open the bag to measure. Goes to show how much variation they have in their Quality Control or lack of Quality Control.

13. FWP

FWP CRS

I wonder if it's the heat up here making it longer /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . Yeah that doesn't sound quite right. I wonder what the heck is up, I wonder what, if any, spec they have on that particular part.

BTW, the part number I got was 462799, Same as yours?

Thanks again for checking. That's what's cool about the good folks here, They will head out to the garage, even if it's inconvenient, to check on stuff for other members. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Fred, I tossed the bag after opening it and its in the dumpster under the days chips and turnings. I need to pick up another spring anyway, I'll measure it also and post the length.