Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*update done * pics painting desperately need help?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by highrider_44s, Jul 5, 2004.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i am in the middle of painting a land cruser i am painting it a metalic blue /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif i started off painting it with a suction feed gun and i realy suprised my self turned out beautiful /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif i got half of it painted and then i broke the gun i was using /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so i went and bought a gravity feed gun not a cheap one but it wasn't realy expensive and holy $!&*!@ what a mess you think i can get it to lay the same not a chance after a lot of messing aroound i got it not to bad but i'm still having problems getting the flec even i've tryied reducung the paint alot and feathering it in and that worked not to bad /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    but no mater what i do it always seems that the flec doesn't come out of the gun evenly throughout the entire fan i got about a 8" fan and it always seems the flec only comes out in about a 4" of the fan and no mater how i overlap my passes i can't seem to get it even /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    any help /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    i'm feeling realy lost /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Re: painting desperately need help?

I'm not an expert, or even a painter, but I've used both types of guns at work. On the gravity feed, I found I had to turn the pressure way down (like to 20 psi or less) to get good results.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

PM ryoken. He's a expert. I couldn't have painted my interior at all without him...

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thank you Pam /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

although exceptionally experienced /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, i would hate to call myself an expert...

couple questions Highrider...

is this a single stage paint? or basecoat? vital info for cap size and spray techniques.. single stage metallics can really suck at times. basecoats rule for metallics... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

make sure your thinned enough, the gravity feeds atomize excellent, but have a tendency to throw "droplets" when a little on the thick side... a viscosity test should be down around a 6 second drip off the paint stick... but check your %'s on the can...

although gravity feeds work very well at lower pressures, its much easier to get away with that on a solid color. generally on metallics you want to increase your distance from the panel and crank it up a little to provide thorough atomization and give the metallics time to atomize as they lay out. this also allows for a more thorough overlap (and can actually drastically change the actual appearance of the metallic and color. the farther away and "drier" the coat will tend to lay them flat, thus lighter and more metallic and more even. wet coats tend to allow metallic to stand upright, bunch up and "swim" thus, not as reflective, darker, and possible zebra striping, mottling, etc.

try to change up how you paint a panel each time you coat it. one direction then the other, make your last coat the easiest way to spray (generally a hood is easiest from windshield to bumber strokes).

honestly there are tons of variables on spraying techniques depending on obviously materials and styles of paint down to desired style and amount orangepeel, gloss, etc..

one thing about spraying 25 a week in a collision shop, not only is color matching incredibly important, but matching different manufacturers finish tendencies is a big part too... you actually develop different techniques for each car company..

anyway, another thing about many gun manufacturers whether a Binks #7, Dev JGA, etc is that they tend to like the fan just turned in a tad from max fan. sometimes when that knob gets spun all the way out, it screws with the pattern. i usually narrow it just an inch or so on the pattern. just to get that adjustment in its range.

oh, and the number one cause for irregular patterns, yes, i hate to say, is a dirty cap. it may seem clean, but its easy for a chunk of crud to load up a passage. my caps stay in thinner when not in use. a blowgun and welding tip cleaners are your friends.

hope some of that ramble helped ya /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif shoot me a pm if i can help in any way... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. highrider_44s

yea it's a single stage paint /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    i tryed thinning it some more and it worked a little better i tryed spraying a pateren on a peice of cardboard and it seems that the middle of the fan is realy wet and the outside of the fan is dry so i uped the preassure and seemed to be better but now the regulator says it's at 60psi at the base of the gun /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i thought this is suppose to be a low preasure gun is 60 to much ?

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, that is a little cranked /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

usually i'm between 15 and 45ish depending on which gun, etc. although i have been upwards of 55 on a rare occasion, but only with my older school non HVLP's.. dont think i've had my newer HVLP gravity over 45...

if your getting a decent pattern go with it. you'll blow thru some additional paint tho (the beauty of a hvlp gravity, spraying solids at 15 lbs making a qt go forever with minimal overspray /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif).

keep in mind, stay off the panel a good distance (18 to 24) and slow your passes down to achieve the wetness you need for the single stage.. double check your gun too. make sure the fluid nozzle is firmly tightened with a wrench and cap is seated well. also your fluid needle adjustment below the fan is out enough. i run em at least 3/4 out usually..

also make sure your actually as thin as you think with that drip test. stir your paint, pull the paint stick out and count.. should be 5, 6 seconds. if your still dripping 9, 10ish, your too thick...

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You're welcome Paul! See... told ya he was an expert! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. highrider_44s

thanx for the tips man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    i'lll let you know how it turns out
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. highrider_44s

got it finished took a bit of work but she's done. here's some pics for your veiwing pleasure /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

nice.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not bad at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

looks good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif