Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

***UPDATE..FIXED*** Engine Knocks...goes away when in drive, Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Feb 25, 2004.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt my engine, and put a new flexplate on my engine. I also put in a rebuilt tranny, a new TC and a doubler.
    When I start the engine it knocks really bad. If I put it in drive it goes away.
    I am thinking that it might be something in the flexplate area. It could be hitting the bottom portion of the bellhousing, would that cause it to knock? It goes away when I get on the brakes and put it in drive. But if I let off the brakes and move it, it gets bad.
    I started the engine w/ no tranny hooked up to it a while ago and it sounded fine. I istalled the flexplate I believe with the correct side against the engine, but it could be the wrong way. The counter weight is on the engine side of it, on the old flexplate I believe the weight was on the tranny side.
    Any ideas? Thanks!

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Re: Engine Knocks....goes away when brakes are on and in drive, Please Help!!!

Pull the dust cover off of the tranny and see how much play there is in the crank. Put a pry bar behind the flexplate and see how much it moves, a buddy of mine had a similar issue on a trail run, he made it about 25 miles from the park and the engine bit the dust. Also, do you have oil pressure?

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It sounds like it is coming from the flexplate area.
    It could be just hitting the dirt sheild.
    As for the direction of the flexplate.
    Do you remember how much of a gap there was between the flexplate and converter before you bolted them together?
    With the converter pushed against the tranny there should have been a gap between 1/8" and 1/4".
    And unless it is a new plate you should be able to see where the starter drive has been engaging.
    The teeth will be nice and square on the opposite side of the drive and will be worn on the drive side.

4. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

check the tightness of the flexplate bolts, mine did the same thing awhile back and two of the bolts were on by a thread.

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I fixed it. It was the lower shield on the bell housing. I took it off, started it up and it sounded fine. Thanks for the help!