Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*** UPDATE FIXED !!!!!***Found My Vibration....Now What ***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pauly383, Feb 23, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well tonight we got under there and the pinion nut was so loose you could turn it with your fingers /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Out of curiousity we tightened it back up and removed the axle shims..........The drive was great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No vibration at all , not even bearing noise. The only things I hear now are the exhaust resonations at certain rpms and occasionally my lockright ( which is taking some getting used to ) I want to thank everyone for their advice , my maiden run is gonna be great this weekend/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif And by the way I think it was my own fault , I never checked this when I pulled it at ecology, for all I know someone loosened it at junkyard /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

original post below:
    I was fixing my lift issues and bought CV shaft and some shims to get my vibes fixed. Seemed close so I shimmed my pinion back down (shackle flip brought it up) and it got worse. I was under my blazer tonight and my pinion yoke is loose. I had been hearing a noise in low gear taking off and stopping ever since I put in this 12 bolt in November. I have a good idea what I am going to do if no one locally has an open 12 bolt 3.08 ( to match front and use my lockright). Now with all due respect..... Please dont mention 1 ton or 3/4 ton as my solution, I had a certain amount of money to do a lift , locker , tires and I'm certain matching axles would of used a good protion of that, if not all of it. I was thinking with a friends help, his idea really, we pull pinion and get new bearing pressed on. Any help is appreciated, my drivetrain info is in my sig. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Re: *** Found My Vibration....Now What ***

did you try to torque the pinon nut back down?

3. pauly383

Not yet, it was late and I am leaving it overnight in my garage. From grabbing shaft it seems tight, but I know that really doesnt mean anything. I will check that tommorrow after work. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

now what? i put my 12 bolt pinion yoke on with an impact gun.. i just made sure it was tight... 180 ft lbs should do it..

5. pauly383

So you suggest the bearing may still be good? I'd love to just tighten it back up, as it drove OK just a little vibe and noise, noise only when stopping and taking off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well, do you know how long it's been loose? Maybe it's fine. Why not try?

You can change the pinoin bearings without having to go through a true ring and pinion setup. You basically just make sure you put everything back the way you took it apart. Pinion depth could be slightly off, but with the wear and age of the axle, it's probably not perfect now.

7. pauly383

My buddy concurs, doesnt sound that bad. I just now noticed it so I don't know how long. I could of been recent with lift and locker going on. I am gonna play with it tonight with help and let all of ya know /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

MIne was loose for a while I just zapped it down and its quiet and vibration free now, that was 4000 miles ago.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 10 bolt grenaded from that nut coming loose.

I would try replacing the bearings. Use the same shims, new races. Get a new crush sleeve and nut, and use them.

That's if you're bent on saving that axle though. I personally wouldn't spend a dime on a 1/2 ton axle.

I ran my 10 bolt 'til it was done, got my 12 bolt, was given my 3/4 ton stuff for free. As soon as my 12 bolt grenaded, I got it towed home and put the 14 bolt in.

10. pauly383

Look at the top , My update. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally wouldn't spend a dime on a 1/2 ton axle.

[/ QUOTE ] Well I can appreciate that , really. Just spent all my money on everything else. Its not a rockcrawler.....yet. Sometime in a year or two when I'm back to having some extra money I can go 1 ton on 15x10 rockcrawlers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif