Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update: Headers installed: truck quieter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

(See update Below, 13Apr03)

Just put on Flowtech Afterburners. Stripped 'em, sanded 'em and coated 'em with VHT flameproof paint. Overall, they fit well and I can get all the plugs in and out. They didn't touch anything except the column shift linkage. These are big tube headers. The only way to use bigger tubes would be to use allen-head bolts or dimple the tubes for bolt clearance. The hard part was the accessory brackets on the driver's side. What a pain! And what is that stupid bracket that Summit sold me even for?

But back to the point. The Jimmy is much quieter now. Why? The manifolds were the smog pump style that go up from the exhaust port. So the exhaust gas hits a wall, travels upward, turns to go rearward and then down out the back of the manifold through a 2" diameter opening. Could all of the restriction have been making more noise?

Post getting long, but I must say it is so fun driving across town to the exhaust shop with open headers.

I pulled in and made a bunch of noise. Then I walked in and said with a straight face "I think I have an exhaust leak..." /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Re: Headers installed: truck quieter

Did you feel any difference in performance? I am thinking about getting headers so I would like to hear more.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sometimes restriction can make noise. I know tehre was a truck at school with dual 2" pipes off the manifolds all the way back. With just glasspacks it was loud!! sounded almost exactly like a Harley with pipes. My K5 with manifolds and glasspacks and 2 1/4" exhaust sounds much much quieter(so much that i don't like it). Whats the rest of your exhaust like?

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My Jimmy w/ headers, dual 2 1/4' exhaust and glasspacks is louder than hell. I hate it... I am hoping to redo it pretty soon and it is getting a single 3" w/ a MUFFLER!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think the 2 umm cats...(I guess they could be called shells shaped like cats?) dull the noise a lot. Probably act as a big resonator.

6. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

My friend runs dual straight pipes with glasspacks.
    He got pulled over for it being too loud a few times and put cats on it (not punched out) and you can hardly tell the difference.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

really? cats make a big diff in my experience. Hmm, high flows maybe?

8. Blue85

I have 2.25" pipes from the collectors to the tips behind each rear tire. The mufflers are 2.5" flo-pros (pipes flared to fit). There is a balance pipe under the tailshaft of the T-case.

The higher-rpm performance is definately better. The low end I'm not sure about. (Give me the weekend to really try it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) It almost seems slower in the low end to me, but it could be because I'm expecting to hear more noise. The speedo seems to move pretty fast, so I don't think I've lost anything in the low end, maybe even gained.

Do you guys have any problems with roasting your plug wires?

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

glasspacks are cool
    i have dyno's and no cats....mine has almost like a ricer sound.....<---wants glasspacks again /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Guys I just got mine back yesterday tried to get state inspection and they failed and not because of no smog pump but because of exhust leak so I took it to the shop had them put all new heddman headers and 2.50" pipes with dual flowmasters out the back sound great and run even better than before. Flows are the way to go I had glasspacks and they were too damn noisy for me.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. Blue85

OK, I have made another discovery since getting the headers and this is WEIRD. The off-the-line acceleration is smoother. See, I have been trying (off and on) to solve what I thought was a driveline problem. Now it is nearly nonexistent. Some told me it was axlewrap, others U-joint angles, but I never figured it out. I thought it was because the transfer case can move a little on it's mount and the slip-yoke splines have some amount of play. Now my theory is that it was the engine output torque pulsing. Is this possible?

It would happen only in first gear, off the line, almost regardless of throttle. At high speeds, I had no driveline vibrations. I've had bad u-joint angles before and that would give problems at several different speeds. In theory, that should be least noticeable at take-off. Also, axlewrap should be proportional to torque.

Could my crappy smog manifolds have given really uneven backpressure from one cylinder to another? Each side has one that is out-of-sequence with the others, right? The lower your gearing, the more direct influence the engine has on the vehicle. Maybe the problem was there in all gears, but the inertia of the truck makes it not noticeable without being in 1st gear? My crossover pipe must be more effective now, too.

12. Blue85

The other weird thing is that now my idle speed is higher. Less restriction, I guess.

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just put on Flowtech Afterburners. Stripped 'em, sanded 'em and coated 'em with VHT flameproof paint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the Afterburners on my Suburban and I really like them. The collector design smooths out the exhaust tone so it's not as harsh (hey, this is a family truck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I wish I would have taken the time to strip and paint mine. Now, 30k miles later, they are a crappy looking rust color.

The next set I buy I'm gonna get ceramic coated. Maybe those will stay looking good for more than 10 miles.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Goober, even the VHT flameproof paint lasts a long time. I cleaned up a used set of headers and painted them with the VHT and when I removed them 2 years later they still looked good.

The only place that was starting to look a little crusty was down by the collector. The tubes near the heads were as clean looking as the day I sprayed them with the VHT.

It's a good alternative if you're on a budget and don't want rusty gross looking headers.

Rene

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about pulling them off some Saturday afternoon and cleaning them up with a quick blast of VHT paint but I doubt that I could clean them up good enough with a wire brush and I don't have a sandblaster. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What the heck, I may just go ahead and try the wire brush.

The only problem is that the crappy looking rusted headers match my truck quite nicely! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. tRustyK5

I used a wire brush...and got decent results. I used 3 medium coats with 45 minutes dry time between coats. Even with not having the best prep it exceeded my expectations by a fair margin.

Rene

17. Blue85

I'm actually doing a test study for all of you. I only ordered 1 can of 1500F VHT ($10/can - Summit) by mistake and I ran out doing the second header. (BTW: the instructions say to put it on very thin, just enough to color it and and that any more does no good) So part of one header is using Dupli-Color 1200F ceramic paint ($5/can - Autozone, K-mart, etc, picture of a header on the can). Now I can report back in a year and tell you how they compare.

Both kinds of paint won't cure until you run the headers. The paint gets dry to the touch, but even sitting 24 hours, most of the curing happens after they get the heat. Then the fumes just pour off of them, so don't do any breathing under the hood. The instructions recommend heat cycling to cure the paint. First take it up to some temp, then let it cool, then up to a higher temp, etc.

I wonder if there is a good way to distinguish between the smell of curing header paint and burning wires? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

<font color="red"> Well, I have the Afterburners too, and run dual straights to the back rear corners... it sounds good, loud, but the only thing I don't like it at the end of the gear it gets a loud raspy sound to it, and I am tinking of adding either glasspak or flowmaster...

ANY INPUT??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    sorry to jack post..

19. Blue85

What mufflers do you run now? None?

20. tRustyK5

Add an 'H' pipe between the duals and some 2 chamber Flow masters. It'll still be loud, but you'll get rid of that annoying raspy sound.

Rene