Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

#UPDATE# I think I am getting ripped off?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lasvegas, May 3, 2002.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I am almost sick to say how much I am spending on this roll cage BUT the guy started out by installing new body mounts and then building a custom all metal fan shroud for me. From there, he built a custom 6 point roll cage with spreader bars surrounding the windsheild and two vertical spreaders in the middle of the windsheild. The two front tubes go through the dash and the whole thing is really tight around the inside of the cab so that you actually can't see the cage through the door windows. There are spreader bars across the roof, behind the seats on the top and bottom, then running the whole length of the truck. He also built a spare tire mount inside the truck for my 38.5" spare. He mounted my fire extinguisher in the front and put in hand holds. He also put spreaders across the bottom and mounted new seats and five point harnesses and the stock console (for now) on those spreaders. He has been working on this thing for two weeks and says he should be done by friday or saturday at the latest. I already gave him A LOT of money and he said he needs more when he finishes. Anyone have any ideas as to what this whole mess should fairly cost me? He supplied the seats and harnesses. I forgot the brand but the seats were $200.00 each and harnesses were $200.00 for the pair. Oh yeah, the cage is connected to the body with a large plate on top and underneath the body at each point, and then he made tubes that go from the bottom plate to the frame. Any ideas as to the reasonable cost for this set up would be appreciated. I did not bother to ask the exact price going into this . . .

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: I think I am getting ripped off?!?!

You guys never discussed a price? or have any of this in writing???
    You're getting one sweet sounding set up..but I think you're going to get hosed by the guy. He should present you with a bill before he goes any farther..but sounds liek it's too late.

best of luck/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    seats-$400
    belts$200
    cage$??
    labor$$??
    probably an easy $2,000 job.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thats ALOT of work /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif if you got away with 2 grand that would be a steal. i would think it's more like 3 g's and some change. it sounds like he's doing quality work and that stuff costs $bling $bling. i know i've spoken with a local shop and they would do a cage for around a grand but i know for a grand all i'm gonna get is simple 6 piont cage with a few cross members. don't worry this is one VERY spendy hobby.

4. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I had a local guy quote me a price on an 8 point cage. It ties into the frame just like yours. He will have mounts for the seats and seatbelts, and he quoted me $12-1500.00 for it. I Dont know how much your extras would add up to?

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i would have at least asked for an estimate before the guy started anything (that way you would have had an idea)?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's a hell of a lot of work and it sounds like a first rate job he's doing. Quaility doesn't come cheap. Installing a cage the way he did is very time consuming and labor intensive. Sounds like a high speed prerunner style cage. Plus all the extras. I would say your getting a deal if it's under $3k.
    Get us some pictures of this bad boy. Sounds awsome.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

2 weeks straight is going to be spendy...I'd say you'll be close to $3500 depending on his shop rate. In his defense the cage you are having built sounds top quality, which is time consuming. The more intricate it gets the more time is required to do it right. At any rate our shop charges about $45 an hour for fab...
    I'd say you're getting ripped off if he gave you a solid price before he started. It really comes down to what you agreed upon before the work started. If you expected that quality of a cage for under a grand you didn't ask enough questions...

So before anything else how about a little more info? What were the terms and such for the work prior to the job starting? What additions were made and at what stage?

Rene

8. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Only $45 an hour? My shop charges around 80 an hour for fabrication, and we get as much work as we want. Sounds like a good deal for around 3 grand.

9. tRustyK5

I was being conservative in converting over to USD. We charge $80 CDN for fab and $105 for machining. Some shops charge as litle as $55 CDN per hour here and some are well over $120 per hour so there seems to be a huge range...

Rene

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sounds like he's doing a great job...

But you should have had some price in writing before he started.

11. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Nobody has asked what is he building it out of. Material cost can vary widely. Is it mild steel, DOM, or 4130 chromoly. $3000 to $5000 wouldn't supprise me at all. A friend is building a new Prerunner for a customer and has over $3500 in 4130 costs alone.

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Based upon what you have told us, it sounds like the guy is doing a very nice job, and doing it right. At this point if he has done a good job and you are happy with it, then the price will be what it is. Labor and materials vary so much from one end of the country to the other it is very difficult to compair prices. No matter what the price is, there will always be someone who's brother-in-law has a friend that can do it cheaper.

13. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the rear tire mount... ~$450+

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hey Vegas. Aren't you the guy who's a lawyer? I thought you'd be the first to ask everything written down before paying a penny.

15. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

Okay, reading all these posts made me feel WAY better. He told me the basic cage with the seats and harnesses was $2,500.00 before we started. I am up to about $3,600.00 right now and he should be done tommorrow. So THANK YOU ALL because it sounds like I am right in the ballpark. I do not mind paying for quality and good work as I have well over $25,000 into the truck already. BUT I don't want to get ripped off or over pay for stuff either, just like anybody else.

16. tRustyK5

That does sound right in the ballpark...take some good pic's dammit!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I wanta see it too! Sounds like this guy does great work.

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

who is doing it for you? a race shop here in vegas?

19. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

Got my truck back last night. Cage came out really nice. Had a couple of small problems. Windsheild got cracked during the tight welding, no big deal. Also, one of my optimas got ran down because the interior lights were left on for three days straight. Started with the auxilary battery (Thanks to WranglerNW system) and I thought driving it home would charge the main battery back up but I was wrong. Apparently there is a trick to charging Optimas and Wrangler told me today that it is probable that I damaged my high dollar wrangler alternator by trying to make it charge the dead optima. THat is not cool. The rest of the small problems are just minor stuff that is common when someone else works on your truck for you . . . I am going to try to take my first digital pictures this week end and post them so you can see the cage. He also did a nice custom fan shroud that is solid and tight.

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Apparently there is a trick to charging Optimas and Wrangler told me today that it is probable that I damaged my high dollar wrangler alternator by trying to make it charge the dead optima.

<hr></blockquote>
    So, did they fill you in on what the trick is?

Looking forward to seeing pics of your cage /forums/images/icons/smile.gif