Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE !!!!! Need help FAST

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Oct 22, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

OK I took the cover off and good news nothing was wrong with it. then I looked at the u joints again the back one closest to the rear was broke. I thought that they would of been ok sincce i thought I had replaced them both already about 6 months ago. But I was wrong the front one was replcaed. I asked a mechanic about it he said since the front one was replaced it threw the rear one off balance or something and thats why it broke but I think it just broke because of natural wear and tear. So too make a long sotry short by me taking a look at it myself it saved me allot of money. Thanks for the help everyone.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifMy rear end is making clunking noises when I shift into drive. ANd it is not the u joints I just replaced those not too long ago. My dad said that when he looked under there the bearing cap was moving in and out with the drive shaft but just a little he said. He said my rear end migth be going out. How can you tell if it is going out and what happens when it does go out? It is a 10 bolt stock. And if at all possible if anyone in here knows where I can get this fixed at in or around the tacoma washington ar /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifea I would appreciate finding out. I hope I can get this fixed Im suppose to go to boise for a week next monday then go to California after that.

2. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help FAST

i had less than 5 months on my u joints auto zone crap had the classic clunk also had some noise from the ring and pinion so /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifi did a complete rebuild also changed the u joints the old ones were shot ???? get the spicer joints put them in and go from there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

pop the diff cover off and look for broken teeth, and check for excessive play in the gears. a fluid change cant hurt and youll get a good look at the gears
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. JimmyJuneau

How much woudl all that cost me?

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Take the cover off and take a look inside and see if you see anything.

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have play in my slip yoke, check there and around there and the things that hold the u-joint bearing caps.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you in Tacoma now? I know there are a couple of listers around, but if you are in Tacoma, and can't get any help there, swing up this way and we can probably check it out, at least take a good look at stuff.

Tomorrows my last night in town, but I've got a flat driveway....

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya, dude where are you at? If your in Tacoma your like an hour away from me. I, er we can get that gear set-up done here if need be. In a pinch I have tons of stuff here.

9. JimmyJuneau

Yeah Im in tacoma now well actually gig harbor but its close enough. Im gonna take the cover off tommorow and take a look around first I guess Ill go form there. if you want to pm me your numbers Ill give you a call after I get done with it tommorow. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

plan it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

sent it dude. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. JimmyJuneau

WELL SH!T I took my truck to a couple different places in town and they all said yep your rear end is screwed. One place wants $695 to fix it another wants between $750-$900 to fix it and then I guess just for kicks I went to the chevy dealer they want 576 for the labor and 1000 for the parts.

Does anyone know of a cheaper place in the seattle tacoma area to get this doen at. I would do it myself if i knew how and had the tools to do it. But /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif dont.

13. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if its screwed up why not just go to a yard and look for another axle? you might even find a better gear ratio or upgrade to a 14ff if you want. it would be alot cheaper.

14. JimmyJuneau

Well is that easier and cheaper to do then have someone rebuild one for me? Also if I do go to a junk yard how can I tell if its a good one or not? And how much do you think I should spend for a used one?

If you think I should get one form a junk yard and if you know where a junk yard is around the seattle tacoma area let me know.
    Thanks
    Brian

15. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, so Its messed up, what is? Is the ring gear broken? the pinion? or is the carrier? I think maybe you need to take the cover off and see for yourself what is broken. You maybe able to just do spider gears and bo done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (about 150 bucks) or you may need a full rebuild. You won't know anything till you get that cover off. I can get all the parts for cheeper, usually than you would pay so.............

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your are close to Aaron, why don't you take it over to Aaron's?? Of course your gonna take it in the butt if you have a shop do the work! You also know he has nothing to gain by helping you, and it *probably* won't cost you anything. :P

You will get hosedat most yards around here too, front 10 bolts run $400, rears are at least $200.

17. JimmyJuneau

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well that is very good news! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Even better than that you didn't loose the driveline while driving! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif