Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**UPDATE**No brake lights or hazzards

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Nov 1, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok, on my 87 Burb I have no brake lights or hazzards. Everything else works. I replaced the brake light switch, 2 hazzard flashers, bulbs are good. If I hit the brake switch on my trailer brake box the brake lights work. I'm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif and not sure what to try next. Any ideas?

***Update***
    I looked today and found the hazzards and brake lights are on the same fuse which was blown. I put in a new one and hit the hazzards, they worked for a second and then the fuse blew. Put another fuse in and hit the brakes, poof it blew. Any ideas or should I start looking for a short in the wires?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: No brake lights or hazzards

check the ground wire in the back

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    check the ground wire in the back

[/ QUOTE ]

If the ground wire in the back was screwed I would thing they would not work with the brake controller switch. Could be wrong but I think it is something before the brake switch but not sure. I hate electrical problems!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Loose or bad grounds can do weird things!!.If they check out good,or cleaning/tightening them donesnt help,it could be in the turn signal switch itself-seems like you already checked the flashers and bulbs(are they new??)and make sure the sockets arent corroded--The directional switch is a bummer to change,you need a lock plate compresser to get the colum apart if thats the problem...sorry I dont know of an easy way to test if its the directional switch--maybe another poster will have a suggestion. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    P.S.--if this is a newer 88-up truck,the taillights on theese trucks have a lot of problems with the printed curcuits in the taillight housing--they corrode so bad the copper strips they use instead of wires for the bulbs dissapear,or get gangrene enough to cause all kinds of lighting problems.But since both of your brakelights dont work,it might be something else--or both tailights printed curcuits died one at a time,and you didnt notice it right away.Might want to make sure the brakelights arent on a separate fuse than the running lights,check for blown fuses,all the easy stuff before blaming the directional switch. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Loose or bad grounds can do weird things!!.If they check out good,or cleaning/tightening them donesnt help,it could be in the turn signal switch itself-seems like you already checked the flashers and bulbs(are they new??)and make sure the sockets arent corroded--The directional switch is a bummer to change,you need a lock plate compresser to get the colum apart if thats the problem...sorry I dont know of an easy way to test if its the directional switch--maybe another poster will have a suggestion. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    P.S.--if this is a newer 88-up truck,the taillights on theese trucks have a lot of problems with the printed curcuits in the taillight housing--they corrode so bad the copper strips they use instead of wires for the bulbs dissapear,or get gangrene enough to cause all kinds of lighting problems.But since both of your brakelights dont work,it might be something else--or both tailights printed curcuits died one at a time,and you didnt notice it right away.Might want to make sure the brakelights arent on a separate fuse than the running lights,check for blown fuses,all the easy stuff before blaming the directional switch. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn signels work fine, all the lights work fine. I will have to check on fuses. Everything works except the hazards and the brake lights but when I hit the switch on my trailer brake controller the brake lights work fine. The brake light switch, and all other parts were on my 87 parts Burb and they all worked when I pulled them out and swapped them.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It could still be the directional switch--I had one that everything but the right rear brakelight worked fine--somtimes the right side would work,sometimes it wouldnt.After searching the harness and replacing sockets and bulbs and checking for bad grounds,I finally noticed if I pulled back of the directional switch the brakelights worked perfect every time!--the directional switch had one contact that had melted its support enough to make it loose.If you have a parts truck with another switch that will fit,maybe you could unplug the old one and just plug in the other one and see if it makes any difference--you might have a problem related to the trailer brake switch too--thats when the real fun begins,when dealing with aftermarket accesories like that.I dont know too much about trailer brake controls--I've installed a few,but dont really know how they work--never had any trouble with the ones I had. Good luck-hope you figure it out before you get pulled over!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Check the contact on the brake controller- the vampire tap could be doing something funky on the brake light wire, and not powering the lights when it should. Which controller are you using?

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Update at top!!!!!!!!!

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

***Update***
    I looked today and found the hazzards and brake lights are on the same fuse which was blown. I put in a new one and hit the hazzards, they worked for a second and then the fuse blew. Put another fuse in and hit the brakes, poof it blew. Any ideas or should I start looking for a short in the wires?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Start searching for a shorted out wire and check all the grounds on that circuit while your at it.